EXPLORER RUN!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EXPLORER RUN!!

I'm getting really excited about this run. I'm pretty sure that I will go I just have to arange it with work and school and it looks like I shouldn't have any problems doing that. I drive a 91 that is unmodified, I shouldn't have to much problems on the right trails, right? Is any going down from Nothern Utah? I live just North of Salt Lake City, if anybody is going down conatact me I would like to go down with others.
See ya then
JR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still have to juggle the work schedule, but count me in too (Hell, I even put tow hooks on the Sport yesterday). I'm heading out from Tacoma, so I may be able to challenge Paul G. for that gallon of gas.... Since I'm building the Sport (and what better excuse for upgrades than an Explorer Run), got a quick question on the Dana 35. Am told that other than ARB, there is currently nothing available for the front differential - true ?
I'm going to 4.10s and E-Z Locker in the 8.8 rear, and want limited slip up front, would hate to settle for the open diff in the 35 only to be told there is a solution after it's put back together. Any info would be appreciated.
Okay, back to the Run - - Jack, didn't you have a comment about bringing local brews before the thread was lost ? If that offer still stands, I'll bring some Tacoma Brew and Scottish Ale from a great micro-brew/bar just stumbling distance from where I live...

No, sorry don't have no tow hooks. Should I buy some? Are they hard to install? How much do they cost? These are just a few questions off the top of my head. For now I don't mind taking some light trails that are not as hard, I know that my explorer cannot do all. The other reason is I don't have a lot of expperience off-roading. Two weeks ago I just put on a new set of I have 30x9.5 BF Trail Terrains, these I am sure will be good enough.
JR

State Troopers like being teased, besides I won't be able to hear their sirens over the rumble of my tires. Dead Link Removed Have you ever heard Thornbirds at 75-80 miles an hour? It is a sweet(?) sound. I'll take a Root Beer flavour popcicle instead of the gas though! Dead Link Removed

Paul, you are just driving 18 hours because your brain gets frozed in Alberta. I promise you summer temps at Hotel Rock...lots of brain cell thawing possible. I'm only coming from N or Albuquerque, a pleasant afternoon drive.

Even 18 hours sound like you will be "teasing the State Police".

I think Paul wins "albatross award," a gallon of our fine gasoline, as the prize for coming the farthest!

JR--Hotel Rock is real gnarly. Potential of body damage and high centering if you are not high enough. The one big obstacle requires great traction. C'mon anyway You will probably need to take the back road to Hotel Rock, but Arch Canyon will be fine. There are some alternate drives as well. Got tow hooks?

Okay, I've adjusted my schedule and I'll be there for the first Run of '99. Jack, go ahead and add my name to the list that you have to forward to the BLM. Paul G., I plan on taking I-84 to I-15 enroute to Highway 6/191 through Moab to Blanding. I plan on hitting I-84/I-15 about noonish on the 15th. If you or JR want to link up let me know...Maybe hit a trail in Moab on the way to Blanding - can't get too much of a good thing! JR - about the tow hooks -- check out "Modified Explorations" on 2-17-99 (have to go back 30 or 45 days to access) to Mick's topic on Tow Hooks. Great info. It was this topic that prompted me to put the GM tow hooks on the Sport this past weekend. See you guys in a month !

My boss (wife) ok'd the trip. I need to agree with Paul S., this is a good excuse to make some needed modifications. Be sure to post the meeting times for each day, I wouldn't want to be left out.

I've got a word of caution for those of you wanting to transport liquer into Utah. Watch out on the quantities. The local paper recently ran a story about the highway patrol arresting some fellows for doing the same thing. The big issue was quantity. Utah wants to be sure to get their tax at the State liquer stores. That was over in the St. George area along I-15.

------------------

Wow, gonna be a nice trip.

Paul S...for your front diff you have limited choices if you are going with a limited slip...sounds redundant! You can get a Trak-Loc or a TrueTrac. The later is clutchless and about as strong as a limited can get....they should be released by now...try Reider Racing 1 (800) 375-1330. The rear Diff done with a locker will at least give you 3 wheel drive when you need it but a front limited can certainly help.

OK, Trace... check your Ford Dealer for the big front Tow ring for an Explorer (about $40). They are awesome strong and an easy install. If you can't get those in time, get the plain black tow hooks (about $6 each) and install them upside done just ahead of the crumple zone on the front of the frame...it will take a moby drill and a steady hand...count on smokin' at least one drill bit.

Then get a Clevis Tow Ring to install it as needed through the rear bumper tow ball hole.

Be sure you have a good strap. The fronts are more important than the rears for what we will be doing...going up to Hotel Rock. I suspect my Clevis would fit your rear bumper if needed.

Thanks for the warning on bringing too much booze...I'll leave the tanker truck at home and just bring a 6 or two.

There will not be any high pressure caffine freaky early meetings at o'dark thirty in the morning. I suspect we will depart Blanding about 9-9:30 am after nice breakfasts to be at the trails at 9:30-10am both mornings to check everybody out and air down, jaw a little and be on the trail..

I'll post some hotel info tomorrow or so. I'll probably be at the Prospector or Comfort Inn...I will looking into "group rates" to keep the cost low.

So far I count six rigs. (That is if Paul S. is bringing an Explorer from Tacoma and not a Tacoma from Explora...check that mileage to see who gets the free gallon of gas! Sounds like the race of the Pauls is on except I can't hear over the whine of Thornbirds.) Oh guys, no "whining" on the trail....

Kevin & Lori Kocher just had a baby girl. We get to name our gnarliest obstacle after her middle name..."Grace"...I figure we'll need it.

Rick
I am very interest in the Los Coyote run. Will be looking for further info.
The Utah run sounds great but unfortunately I can not change vacation time so you all have fun out in the giggle weeds.

In the next few days Rick will be putting several links (motels, area attractions, local maps, weather, etc.) and some GPS coordinates for three trails up on this site to provide info for the run.

I have gone ahead and made reservations for The Prospector Motor Lodge in Blanding. Rick and I will be up a day early to do some scouting. I have stayed at the Prospector many nights through the years during research trips and have always been quite comfortable.

The owner, Mary, is offering our group one bed rates of $35 per night and two bed rates of $40. Mary has only 7 single rooms and a total of 19 rooms altogether, so I encourage you to make a reservation early.

The phone number there is (435) 678-3231. Please let the Prospector Motor Lodge know that you are with the "Explorer group meeting for 4x4central.com" to receive the special rates.

Hope to see everyone in Blanding and on these super trails!

Jack - Thanks for the info on the Dana 35. I'm definitely going to do a traction upgrade of some sort before the Run next month. Although there will be some notoriety and nostalgia attached to the incident, I really don't want to be the one responsible for nicknaming an obstacle "Grace". . . . Gonna be a great trip.

hey all, man i wish i could make it out there for the western trips but im like keith and chris i cant get away for that long, not that the drive is too much for a trip like that but i cant get away for 7-10 days. live in NC so... was wondering is there are any other easterners besides keith and chris ? maybe later this year we can pull off a tellico run or a pennsylvaniw run, kindof a east coast chapter? yall let me know ... dodgerr@hotmail.com

Just found out that we will be one week ahead (hooray!) of an official Jeep Jamboree to be held at Arch Canyon. Ours should be a much better run...the Jeep run allows "only 70 Jeeps and 200 people." Since the Hotel Rock trail is only 3 miles long, some Jeeps will still be waiting to start while others are having lunch at the Rock!

Last time I counted, we had 6 or 7. Please raise your hands again as we get closer to departure time.

Jack,

Since this is your baby, how about getting ahold of some magazine people and get them do a story on us.

Paul brought up a good point in another forum. CB radios. If you've got'em, bring'em!

We will be using CBs for truck to truck communications. Jack will also have a few Motorola hand helds which he can loan, best to be prepared with your own radio though.

For emergency communications I have a full compliment of ham radio gear.

------------------
Rick Horwitz

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-22-99).]

Good thoughts...I'll will be operating on CB Channel 4 and encourage everybody to have CB capability. It's very convenient on the trail. I will bring along four Motorola Spirit 2-way hand helds...we normally use these for spotter's to help individual drivers at obstacles.

Paul, OK magazine editors. I have contacted "Popular Beerguzzler" and for HIX, "Modern Bride". Actually, I have invited the editor of 4WD and SUV...we are late to try to schedule him though as these guys normally have to plan their outings months in advance. It's also not an easy place to fly into. The nearest airport is Cortez, CO with connecting puddlejumper flights through Denver...there is a back way from PHX through Farmington, NM...you'd get there faster in low-range!

Also, we can't really give the mags indications of a big turn-out yet either. I still count 6 rigs and we haven't heard from one or two in awhile. I need an accurate count (for the BLM) just before I leave for the run. The mags go to either the very big runs (Jambos) or the very hard (Sledgehammer). Small runs? I love 'em...at Easter in Moab it takes more than an hour just to get out of town!!!

In dealing with the editors, I still find myself having to convince them that Explorers are real 4x4s. Rick and I are submitting an article on our last winter's run to one mag (4WD&SUV) and hope that will break the ice. They claim to be quite liberal, but it's a Jeep mag!!! Also we are trying to get some dittys from some of the shops and dealers that advertise in the mags. Like a good 4x4, sponsorship has to be built. This run is impromptu and for fun and we are going to do and see some neat things. We probably need to do our own article...Rick and I will have professional capability for photos (Rick will also have great digi capability), I will be voice recording notes for an article and will have a hand-held with me to get some data in a computer so we can do this quick when we return. Bring your cameras too..you never know who has the best angle and just happens to have his trigger finger on the shutter release when I leap over Cathedral Arch (a highlight of Arch Canyon) without a running start.....(yeah, dream on)

[This message has been edited by j (edited 03-23-99).]

You lucky dogs! It sounds like the run is coming along in damn good fashion. I'll be on the cpu right after the weekend to see how it turns out. Be sure to check out Potato Salad Hill in Moab...it's only 2 min from town on the road to Lyons back. There is always a big crowd there to watch the trucks try the hill. If you hang out for an hour or two you are sure to see at least one rollover and numerous broken driveshafts.

Are you guys still planning a run in Aug.? It would give y'all some time to get a Mag editor. You should try to get in touch w/ the guys over at Petersens 4x4 and Off-road mag. W/ that much lead time I'm sure they would send some people out.

------------------
HIX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack - As far as a "raising of hands" I am definitely a "Go" for the Arch Canyon Run. Once again, thanks for the limited slip info for ther Dana 35, but I've sucked it up and went ARB front and rear. Followed your advice on another topic and got the air line "erector" spring at each diff, protective fuel line hose at critical areas and even mounted the compressor switch in the window/lock panel of the door. Thanks again and see you all in a few weeks.

And by the way, since I am the Editor-in-Chief for "Popular Beerguzzler" magazine, I assume the Paul you refer to in your previous message was Paul Gagnon...

Back