Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Many people (including me)would like to see a large Explorer gathering in Moab after the April, Easter Jeep Safari. We feel that May would probably be the best time to go.

When is the best time for you? Lets discuss it here.

You can sign up online at Dead Link Removed

Check out our last Moab adventure. http://www.4x4central.com/moab.html

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Count me in....just tell me when to be there!

David

Rick, count me in. My explorer should be done by then, in fact should be done within the month,woohoo! Moab here I come (in may) Dead Link Removed

I am interested but it would all depend on the dates and possible conflicts with another event that is closer to home around that time.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

If there's a possibility of doing anything out west, May would be the best time for me. June through August are peak vacation months at work, so they aren't very good choices for me. May is much more possible, though I cannot guarantee that I will be able to get off work for this event.

A couple of questions: Will there be ample places for stockers or near stockers to play? I haven't done much with mine other than install some slightly longer shackles primarily to even out the rear sag and stick an Auburn in the rear. By next may, I could have 31" BFG's and, perhaps 2" rear along with the torsion twist, but not much else in the suspension area.

Other question: What about tow hooks and other such stuff. Some off road groups require this, but I've been having trouble figuring out how to fit them on a 99, at least in front. Rear will have a hidden hitch, so there is a pretty good tow point there. I don't think that Ford had off roading in mind on the late model Explorers.

I'd really like to see a big group of Explorers out there, and I need an excuse to get out of town for a couple of weeks anyway. I will be finishing up school in December, and I haven't had a real vacation in 5 years, except for a couple of quick trips to Vegas. It's between off roading and a cruise, and I'd rather be in the dirt than the water. I can walk many miles in a day, but I don't think I can swim more than 100 feet. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tom

as for a tow point on a 99, I have no idea. I have a 94 and I know I've spent much a time trying ot find a good tow point. I know when I needed the tow the last time, we just wrapped a tow strap around the front differential. It's pretty solid. If you wanted to be really secure you could mount a tow hook way back to your frame but getting a tow strap back there could be tricky. Hope to see you in Moab!

I would love to go on a ride on Moab. I've been trying for years to get my dad and his jeep out there, but it has never worked out. Since school won't finish until halfway through may (about the 12th) later in the month would be better for me.

Michael

------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

Rick,
I'm good with May, just name the date. Dead Link Removed
Paul,
What dates in May are good for you?
Tom,
We had a discussion on front tow hooks for 95+ models some time ago and I got a printout from the local Ford dealer that showed the front tow hooks and placement. Rick even posted the diagram here. If you do a search for tow hooks you should be able to find it and get the number for it. They are not cheap. I also didn't like the fact that they were so far under the truck. Hope this helps. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 10-26-1999).]

Thanks Ray, I'll do a search. I remember reading something on tow hooks a while back, but for some reason, I was thinking that they were for pre-95. I suppose I could always have some fabricated.

BTW, did they stick out at all, or were they only accessable from underneath?

------------------
Tom

Hi Tom,
Here's the link.
Dead Link Removed

No they didn't, that's why I went with the GM tow hooks instead.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Count me in as well...By then I should have all the mods done to my explorer but things are going a bit slower since I had my little mishap

Dan W.
Explorer XLT 4X4 SOHC

Come on guys let's get this thing going. I can be there in the first two weeks. I will also be in Denver in that time so any of you fellow Colorado Country bumbkins that want to go wheelin let me know. This run may not have the sponsorship but it'll be more fun and accessable.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Hey HIX,

Where you from? I know you're an easterner. I'm in Ohio, so IF (and that's a big IF) I can get some time off work in May, I'd be glad to get a small convoy started for Moab. I have no idea exactly how far Moab is, but I'm sure that it's a good couple or three long days of driving. I'm starting to accumulate accessories for off road activities, so I should be fairly well equipped by then (though still pretty much stock).

------------------
Tom

HIX,

thanks for the info. I do intend to add-a-leaf on the rear, as well as raise the front about 1-1.5" early next spring. Looking at some BFG or Goodyear LT tires and maybe some steel rims as well. The superlift will have to wait a bit. Dead Link Removed I agree about those shock mounts. They hang down quite a bit. They won't for long, though.

Well, you are about 450-500 miles east of Cleveland, so you must be making very good time. Dead Link Removed Just checking the map, it looks like about 1200 miles or so from Clev. to Denver, so about 18-20 hours driving time. Do you just take I-70 across? We'll have to hook up this spring for some PA runs. I'm just finishing up night classes this year, so I'll be free next year.

------------------
Tom

Tom,

I was born and raised in SW Colorado. My family is now all in the Denver/Longmont area. I am out East w/ my wife while she finishes grad school and I get my MCSE+I(Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer w/ Internet). We head back to Colo at whenever we get the chance.

As far as the distance from here to Moab. I make it to Denver from here (PHILLY) in 1 and a half days. Add 6 hrs to moab. Before you go try to get some kind of lift (add-a-leafs, or one of the big buck lifts) so that those damn shock mounts don't hit every little rock. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is frustrating.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

my sister is getting married on may 25 so i obviously have to keep that date clear for her, but any other date in may will work for me. i live in salt lake, so i'm close enough to go to moab whenever anybody wants to go.

My vote is for Thursday, 4 May - Monday, 8 May. Anyone else with a date preference ??

That sounds great Paul!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am hoping to get into the Island Rock Crawl in Victoria again this year but if all the spaces are filled before I am accepted I will come to Moab. I will let you know as soon as I find out.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Back