• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SPORT AWD w/V8???

93 x_SPORT

Reaction score
City, State
GARRETT, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
Don't know if this is where I should have asked this question or not, but...

I always thought it would be cool to have an AWD, V8, sport Explorer. Let's say I buy a wrecked '98 or so V8 AWD explorer/mountaineer with good drive train. Then I could by a '98 or so Sport explorer.

Here's the questions:

1. Would I be able to convert the V8 AWD suspension and drive train over to the sport?

2. Would I have to buy a 4x4 sport or would I be fine with a 2wd because I'm using the AWD axle anyway?

3. How much of this would be custom fabrication and how much would be "bolt on"?

4. What unexpected cost could I expect? (I'm not expecting much more than the cost of the two trucks).

5. How much wiring will be involved? (Can I just unplug the V6 engine harness and plug the V8's harness in? Then swap computers of course.)

6. Is this even remotely realistic?

Please let me know if I'm overlooking anything!
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Yes

2. 2WD or 4WD (2WD would be better so you don't have to mess with the 4WD GEM)

3. 90% bolt on. The only thing I can think of that may need to be custom is the tranny cross member, motor mounts, rear drive shaft.

4. I'd add a few hundred bucks ontop of what the two vehicles cost. You can sell a lot of the parts you won't use or had left and make a huge recovery.

5. Just swap the V8 harness, computer into the Sport. Easy (in theory :D )

6. Very realistic. They're virtually the same ride. You'd be the coolest kid on the block for sure. :D

Originally posted by section525
You'd be the coolest kid on the block for sure. :D

Hey, that's my saying!:D

7. So you say I should swap the whole V8 harness and computer. So I would probably have to take the dash apart Or do the two explorers share the same gauge cluster and under dash wiring?

8. Would this be a fun project or utter-hell?

7. I'm sure for the most part the under dash harnesses are the same. But I'm not 100% sure what is different (if anything). The easy part is the AWD system is 100& mechanical so you wouldn't have to wiring or get a computer or anything for the swap. And awd explorer doesn't know whether its awd or 2wd. So it would be just like doing a V8 conversion only. :D

8. This project would.. be.. awesome! And if you were in CA I'd come and help! Check out my link in my sig for my AWD conversion for some cool pics and to see what you'll get yourself into (sort of).

Actually now that I look at it, I remember your thread on your conversion. I also remember eyeballing that frame(wasn't it on ebay?).

Just because your are in CA doesn't mean you can't help. Hell, you've helped already. I don't know if I will do it or not, but it looks like it could be interesting, I would learn a lot, and I would know my truck inside and out. Plus, it would be just plain cool.

I figure I could probably find a sport with fairly high miles and a good body (a sunroof would be nice too) for cheap.

Then find a wrecked V8/AWD with low miles. It would be really cool to get a wrecked limited with a good grille and bumper and put it on the sport. Then again, if those parts are good the parts truck will be more expensive.

Somewhere I read that some town municipalities have special ordered V8 2dr's but for the life of me, I don't remember where I read that.

ok, find a sport which has been hit in the front and find a limited which has been hit in the rear so you can use the limited parts on the front of the wrecked sport 2wd.... see if that helps on cost.

be cuatious though... some vehicles when severely wrecked... can have engine, drivetrain problems.... a small potential tweak here, could cuase a leak somewhere else....

My town fire department appears to have at least one later model (97?) sport with a V8 in it. Could be SOHC though. It's got the light bar and everything. I was not close enough to hear it but it sure took off faster than hell :D (for an explorer anyway)

I would really like to see pictures when you're done. To my knowledge, it's never been done with a second gen sport.

I hope I will be able to do it. I have a lot more research to do though. It's either do something like that or keep my current truck.

If I kept my current 93 sport, I would rebuild the motor and tranny, add a supercharger, update the suspension, maybe paint it and do something about the wheels, and get new seats.

The body is already starting to rust though and I really want something newer. I think the AWD would be a cool project. Also, if I had AWD I wouldn't burn my tires off so quick...I hate how fast I go through tires. I guess I could take it a little more easy.:rolleyes:

hmmm....

Ok correct me if im wrong on this..

I have a 98 sport SOHC.. i love my truck, its in EXCELLENT condition, it has 120,000 miles and runs beautifully. However, in a year or two instead of getting rid of it i plan on keeping it forever (ive put too much work into it to ever get rid of it. and the value of it isnt worth it to me)

Because i have such high miles a friend (he's an awesome mechanic) was talking to me about someday dropping a V8 in it. Isn't this exactly what you're asking? He came up with a few #'s and decided we could put a V8 and new tranny in it (said and done) for around $5000.

Am i missing something with the AWD? Would droppin in the V8 not work without converting the suspension and everything? (i know the computer and everything gets changed too)

Good point(I think). Do the 4x4's and the AWD's use the same front axle? If so, why not just take the motor, tranny, and awd transfer case and slap itinto the sport? Do a little wiring and...TAAAADAA. The only thing is you would have some useless buttons on the dash(4wd).

lol, yea that was pretty much my question! im glad someone was able to understand me

Not to change directions or anything, but you know what would make this project even MORE cool? If I end up getting a parts truck that is a mountaineer, I could swap the mountaineer front end onto it. So I would have a Mercury Mountaineer...Sport, with a V8 AND AWD! Freakin cool!:D

Yes the 4x4's and AWD's use the same front axle. The only exception being the 95 and V6 96 years. They came with a vacuum disconnect.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Yes the 4x4's and AWD's use the same front axle. The only exception being the 95 and V6 96 years. They came with a vacuum disconnect.

So this means my V8 Donor could be anywhere from 96 to 2001? Are there any advantages between different years?

except no one but site members will ever notice. i think mods like this are really cool, and i will have tons of respect for you if you build it, but its still cooler to do a ton of other things (at least it is unless you plan on modifying the 5.0 and the truck far beyond the realms of quasi-stock grafting- it just won't be THAT fast or THAT cool when it gets done)

would you choose a sc blackmagic (its on the way right?) or a awd v8 sport with a fairly stock motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, here's the deal. I don't have enough money to go buy a sohc explorer with fairly low miles then go out and put a supercharger on it. I'm only guessing here, but 12k-18k for the truck and another 3k-5k for supercharger and other mods.

I also like the whole expandability and reliability of a 5.0L. Another benefit is the AWD. I spin the tires enough, as it is, with my stock ohv 4.0L explorer. I know it's ridiculous I just can't control myself.

Not to mention the cool factor, which in my opinion, yes it is cool. I'm not out to impress everyone, so I really don't care if you don't like the idea(I'm not trying to be pissy, don't take me wrong). I'm not really asking for opinions right now. I just want info. Unless of course you have good opinions. :p

Back