Explorer Sport Driveline Measurements | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Driveline Measurements

vreference

Reaction score
I've been thinking on buying a late 90s or possibly 2001 Explorer Sport for SAS duties. The only issue is I want a 5speed and I'm not willing to deal with converting an auto over to manual. The BW crawl-ratio is not even close to what I'm looking for. Since I'd be doing a sas anyway I'm not sure there is any good reason to buy a bunch of hardware I don't want. I'd like to buy a 2-Door 2WD with a 5 Speed (Seems to be a fairly common combination) and use a Divorced NP205 with 4:1 gearset. I know AA is making adapters for the atlas but I see no reason to pay that kind of premium for a part that is only going to be behind a V6. My concern is that the 2Door wheel-base might not be long enough to make a divorced transfercase an option. After getting under a sport it looks promising but I'd really like to do some calculations.

Does anyone have some frame off, flop/rollover, diagrams, whatever, pics that show how far back the transmission tailhousing comes? I'll take pics of 2x4 or 4x4, 2 or 4 Doors. Once I have distance tailhousing to front axle I can do the math from there.

Pictures of this particular flavor of swap would work too but I have yet to see it done.

Thinking of the same swap keep this post alive.

Back