• Register Today It's free!

Explorer V-6 vs. V-8 MPG???

mr_mr11

Reaction score
City, State
Eureka, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Explorer
I'm looking at upgrading to the V-8 engine over the V-6. Any comments from members regarding the mpg of the V-8 vs. V-6 in the 2002-2004 Explorer? Thanks. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002- XLT with about 75K, 17-18 city and about21-22 highway at 70 mph.

2002 Limited with V6 and 3.73 rear. I get almost 17mpg in city driving and 21mpg on the highway. I got 23 mpg on the highway once when I was alone and the truck was empty.

I think generally the MPG rating was "one" lower for the V8 vs the V6. If i buy one it wil DEF be the V8 just for power reasons....

I've got a V8 and I see anywhere from 18-20 with my mix city/highway driving. I went to Kansas City and back with it a few months ago and saw 21 or so with it.

Even if I didn't want the V8 for the towing, I probably would have bought the V8 after driving one :) it's a nice improvement over the V6 :D my mom has an 05 V6.

-Melon

03 V8 AWD -- get 14-15mpg in non-rush hour city driving if I baby it. I get 20-22mpg hwy depending on A/C and speed, @ 70mph w/ A/C on I get 20mpg. But I'm in need of a fuel filter change as well. But seeing as I drive mostly during rush hour in city driving, I get about 14mpg mixed.

I made sure to get the V8 for the extra power and have not been dissapointed.

P.S. I also drive very aggresively.

I have a V8 and just got 20.3 mpg averaging 75 -80 mph with the ac on. I was surprised by that because I believe it is only rated at 17/18.

I know not everybody drives the same, but with my 04 V6, I get 23/24 MPG at 70MPH with the cruise set.

2 cents worth

My 03 limited v8 gets 15-16mpg average around town, I also find that running high test has bumped this up 2-3mpg from the 12-13 I was getting. ( I know octane does not improve mileage, but less ethanol does. I confirmed this in my 06 fivehundred with a 3-4 mpg improvement.) But anyway step on the gas pedal of that v8 and you won't be disappointed.

my opinion...

the milage is prob about the same between the V6 an V8 - reasons

mpg figures = example numbers for my theory

v6 - HIGHWAY MPG 20
- this motor being smaller "CLEARLY" has to work to such an extent to move the weight truck to go 70mph, which would achieve ( 20 ) mpg approx.

v8 - HIGHWAY MPG 20
- this motor being larger "CLEARLY" does not have to work as hard to move the same weight ( slighty ) of the truck to go 70mph, which would achieve ( 20 ) mpg approx. , but since its a V8 it would consume more fuel hence the extra cylinders

i think i said that right lol if that makes sense to anyone...

danny

That theory is true to an extent, the larger the difference in displacement with the same weight vehicle, the more that can become true, but a .6 litre difference isnt enough to make them equal out.

Really either motor is good. I am happy with my V6. It has enough power for me and is decent on gas for a fairly large SUV. The V8 is a good motor too though. They use that motor in lots of vehicles. Lots of patrol cars come with that V8 and it is a pretty stout motor. With the way things are right now the V8 is probably not going to cost any more tan the V6, it might even be cheaper.

If I were shopping for an Explorer right now I would take the V8 if all things were equal but if I got a better deal on a V6 or found one with the options I liked better I would not hesitate to get another V6.

I have never been able to get better than 14.8 MPG on that little stupid display in my 04 V8. I drive fairly conservatively and I have yet to see 15 MPG. I haven't reset the stupid thing in like a month. When you reset, you try to keep your foot out of the gas but it still doesn't help. The V8 drinks the gas no matter how you drive it. I get the same MPG whether I'm dogging it or grannying it. The power is way better in the 8 than the 6 but the fuel economy is drastic too.

2004 mountaineer v8 awd.
My gas mileage was pretty good when i had stock tires on the truck.

But once i put BFG M/T's on it, my gas mileage was WAY less,lol.

But its worth it, because the truck holds like 50% better and grips like a tank compared to stock crap tires.

Screw gas mileage though......it really doesnt bother me, id rather have power when i need it, than have a gas sipping honda and have no power!

2002 Limited with 53,000 miles - 16 mpg city

Let's compare the EPA test for these two vehicles. The 2004 V6 4WD was originally rated at 15/20 (city/highway) and a 17 combined. The new ratings, back applied to the 2002 model year are 14/19 with a 16 combined. Here is the EPA rating page.

The 2004 V8 4WD was originally rated at 15/19 with a 16 combined while the new back applied ratings are 13/18 with a 15 combined. See here.

Bottom line is the V6 will average about 1MPG better than the V8. The EPA annual estimated fuel cost difference is only $167 based on 15,000 miles and $2.66/gallon gas.

Rumple

I have never been able to get better than 14.8 MPG on that little stupid display in my 04 V8. I drive fairly conservatively and I have yet to see 15 MPG. I haven't reset the stupid thing in like a month. When you reset, you try to keep your foot out of the gas but it still doesn't help. The V8 drinks the gas no matter how you drive it. I get the same MPG whether I'm dogging it or grannying it. The power is way better in the 8 than the 6 but the fuel economy is drastic too.

I got my best tank two fill ups ago @ 15.5mpg with 50/50 non-rush hour city driving and highway; I drive rather aggresively and the hwy driving was anywhere between 65-75mph.

I find it hard to granny my mounty...too much available power.

2005 4WD 4.0L, 25 MPG flat at 55 mph. 22 MPG at 60, and 19MPG at 70MPH

i have a K&N drop in, and run Full Synthetic Oil, other than that, ALL stock

2005 4WD 4.0L, 25 MPG flat at 55 mph. 22 MPG at 60, and 19MPG at 70MPH

i have a K&N drop in, and run Full Synthetic Oil, other than that, ALL stock

I get 23mpg @ 55, 21 @ 60, and 19mpg @ 70... stock everything, non-synthetic, normal FRAM drop in (for now)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not a major differance between the 2. Its not like your getting 60 mpg in one and 20 in the other. You need to get whay you want or you will never be happy with the purchase.

Back