Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I know there are alot of people here that fab things up. Someone ought to produce a diff guard for the 8.8, which we all obviously have. I know there are several for sale from various manufacturers, but they're all relatively pricey. I'd like to see someone produce a simple strong guard for $50-75. Or is that impossible for the work involved?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you thinking of something like this:
a1_1.jpg

Or do you want something more on the lines of under the diff/skid plate combo?

Once I get caught up on my SAS brackets I'll look into building some.

That thing is sweet! Is that your own custom fab? Or can it be bought?

EBInterceptor said:
That thing is sweet! Is that your own custom fab? Or can it be bought?

That one is from a builder on eBay. I emailed him asking if they would consider production for the Ford 8.8. If he doesn't then I'll look into starting my own fab work.

If they would make one of those for the 8.8 I would buy one.

That rock guard is nice, but I would like a full skid plate for the diff. I have seen them go all the way around to protect the pinion yoke on the driveshaft.
There are a couple of bolts on most 8.8s for the vibration damper. If the design is right it can utilize all stock bolt locations.

I was looking at the Warn guard they make, its a full cover and is very nice, but steep at $200 or so!

Then there is cleagearz, now those are just COOL! hahaha I can see it now a little neon in the rear diffy

I was thinking something like these, although these are cast.http://www.highclearance.com/
I'd like one made out of plates, or facets like a diamond.

Or, to fit in my price target, just a bolt ring and a pinion gear shield.

From link above.

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 661

I have seen the skid plates that go from the pinion to the diff cover, all bolt on but $$$$$.

I just installed my rock guard that I ordered from www.southtexashunter.com

You could seriously run a cement truck up on this and it wouldnt look any diff. A couple of the Texas guys got to see these in person and can vouch for the strength. I paid 65.00 for my 8.8 guard
D-44%20Half%20Guard.jpg

I love the look of the Crane covers and was even planning on getting one until I saw the price. Man are they proud of thoes things!

Brian,

Thanks for the link! thats the cheapest I have seen!
Does it require new longer bolts, and do they come with it?

Thanks!

Jamie

410Fortune said:
Brian,

Thanks for the link! thats the cheapest I have seen!
Does it require new longer bolts, and do they come with it?

Thanks!

Jamie

It does require longer bolts which are shipped with the guard. I cant even begin to tell you how happy I am with these. They are made so strong. This is a local company here in Texas and they were very helpful. Give them a call.

www.purplecranium.com

Ford88FullSpiderRockGuard501318464m.jpg

only 105 bucks.

Yes! That's what I like!

I emailed South Texas Hunters for prices on the Younger Bros half guard pictured earlier. The price they quoted me was $89 for the 8.8. TrckMagik, how long ago did you get yours for $65?

hey rangerx. purplecranium has a half spider, the one ur looking for for about 65 bucks also. i just pictured the full spider.

I like all of these ideas.... does anybody have any pics of the kind that also prtects the yoke and pinion??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mudd***** said:
like such?

rdiff.JPG

clark, THIS is the one I was saying I like. I don't care for the purplecranium ones at all. Yhanks, though.

Mudd*****, who makes that one?

Back