Explorerforum diff guards? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorerforum diff guards?

RangerX said:
Yes! That's what I like!

Bill, That one that mudd***** posted is stout. I have the same one on my Dana 44 and on my 8.8. They are made with 1/2" plate for the outer ring and 1/4" plate in the center. The bolts are countersunk allen heads. I have bashed many a rock with my front one and it has fended them all off without any problem. I highly reccomend them, but be prepared, they are spendy as well, $550 for the pair. Well worth it for me, you get what you pay for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought mine in December. May have been a christmas deal? They are well worth it though.

RangerX said:
clark, THIS is the one I was saying I like. I don't care for the purplecranium ones at all. Yhanks, though.

Mudd*****, who makes that one?

Texas Auto Gear makes them. 281-448-4371. Tell them Randall sent ya ;).

Michael said:
Bill, That one that mudd***** posted is stout. I have the same one on my Dana 44 and on my 8.8. They are made with 1/2" plate for the outer ring and 1/4" plate in the center. The bolts are countersunk allen heads. I have bashed many a rock with my front one and it has fended them all off without any problem. I highly reccomend them, but be prepared, they are spendy as well, $550 for the pair. Well worth it for me, you get what you pay for.

I concur. That's $275 for those of you without a dana 44.

Poison Spider Customs has one for the 8.8 that is pretty trick...

http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.html

8.8 is $105, I like this design

I wonder if Warn makes their new guard for the 8.8?

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/differential_plate.shtml

Sure enough! No price listed though I think they are right about $100

I like these designs because I cant afford the $250 for the full cover!!
If I did go full cover one with a drain plug wouldnt be too bad either......I can see needing a full cover on a front diff, but on the back just a simple lower half protection should be enough, unless you are going backwards, which happens alot I guess....

410Fortune said:
I can see needing a full cover on a front diff, but on the back just a simple lower half protection should be enough, unless you are going backwards, which happens alot I guess....

I wanted something that wasn't going to peel back if I drug the whole diff across a rock. I could see that happening with a stock cover and one of those guards. TAG doesn't build a drain into any of their covers because they have see too many get pruned off on the trail leaving you with no gear lube. The Dana 44 ones have a fill built in but that is not needed on the 8.8. The rear one also greatly increases fluid level to almost a gallon leading to a cooler running rear end.

If anyone is interested in these differential guards.. I'm friends with a metal fabricator that said he could try and fab some up if there's enough interest. He'd like to know what everyone would prefer, since there are many different types.

Trckmagik said:
I just installed my rock guard that I ordered from www.southtexashunter.com

You could seriously run a cement truck up on this and it wouldnt look any diff. A couple of the Texas guys got to see these in person and can vouch for the strength. I paid 65.00 for my 8.8 guard
D-44%20Half%20Guard.jpg

I had one like that. Trouble came when I hit a boulder as I was pointing nose down. The boulder had a part that went over the diffguard, over the tie-rod and smacked the diff cover right up into the ring gear.

This is what FST came up with:

ramp_4.jpg

It's a stock cover with thick wall steel tubing welded to the area that has the ring gear behind it. I have taken a ton of hits to it with no problems.

alright this is a little off the topic but i was at ford waiting for my alignment to be done when i picked up a mag that had differential plats in it and they had a hole crap load of clear ones, does anyone here have one...i just wana know what it looks like with the guts inside. probly not real ideal for off road..thanks

frickea86 said:
alright this is a little off the topic but i was at ford waiting for my alignment to be done when i picked up a mag that had differential plats in it and they had a hole crap load of clear ones, does anyone here have one...i just wana know what it looks like with the guts inside. probly not real ideal for off road..thanks

The plastic covers are amazingly strong, but they will eventually shatter. FST had one on display at their shop with a 3lb sledge hammer next to it. People beat on it as hard as they could over a long perios of time and it never broke. It just scuffed up the plastic a bit. Then one day this women hits it and shattered it! Not that she hit it that hard, she just hit a spot that had been weakened.

Rick said:
The plastic covers are amazingly strong, but they will eventually shatter. FST had one on display at their shop with a 3lb sledge hammer next to it. People beat on it as hard as they could over a long perios of time and it never broke. It just scuffed up the plastic a bit. Then one day this women hits it and shattered it! Not that she hit it that hard, she just hit a spot that had been weakened.
:hammer:
Morral of ths story? Don't let a woman rock crawl with your truck: She'll find the weak spot. :D

If anyone is interested in the Crane covers, I talked to them at Moab this past week and they do offer group discounts. We'd have to do arrange this with Rick and have a set number of people that are SERIOUS about buying them, but if there is enough interest I'd be willing to arrange the whole deal.

I'd be interested in the group purchase, I was planning on getting one soon but if we can get a group buy going then all the better. I like the fact the if you can break one of their covers they will replace it free if you send them the broken one.

Those clear ones wouldn't let you see in very long. I would think the fluid would kinda mess up the view.

OKay well leave it to bill to start this topic and then this weekend I folloow him through some rock gardens and guess what? Peeled back my stock metal 8.8 guard.
Repaired on Sunday but it is dripping a little, so I am in the market for my replacement sooner than expected! Like TODAY so I dont have to buy gear lube twice! I will be re-using the lube that I can catch when it comes off this evening...

Figures...I have 2 choices.
Full cover in the mail today, or stock replacement and in the market for a guard....

That sucks Jaime...the thing I like about the Crane covers is that they don't peelback and if you manage to break one, they'll send you a new one. ;)

hahaha I like them too! I just dont like the PRICE! Damn taxes....

I like the Crane ones too. Too much cash for me. There is a guy up here in Colorado who has an orange YJ that Crane Built for him. His name is Ryan. Anyway, he was just a young punk (like me I guess) so maybe his dad owned the shop. He competes in Rock Comps here in Colorado Springs and he had a contest for a free crane cover called "wish I had a crane cover" (or something) on colorado4x4.org I guess the best picture wins. It might be over- but you might check Jaime- I bet you would be right in the running!

I am building my own. I built a front one like the ones that were circulating here on the board except bigger and all the way back to cover the Aluminium 3rd member. I plan to build a rear one that protects the pinion yoke and junk and attaches to the three bolts on the damper. It will be like a skid/ diff guard. When I finaly get to it I will get some pictures of my front guard.

Kirby, there are some members with skid plates like you are describing for the 8.8. Bolt on, protect the pinion.
Similar to what Duff carries for the D44 and 9" (EB)
I also found Bluetorch makes a nice 8.8 full cover from plate for $139

Warn's 8.8 guard will be available again May 24th, I called them direct they are on backorder everywhere. $73 was the lowest I found.

:)

If you make this plate I and a few others would be in line for one.
I know some of the Colorado members a few years back did some custom D35 TTB and 8.8 plates....maybe we could see some pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will be building 2. One for me and one for my brother. I will post pics of my front Asap. It is like that one Brett has but on steriods. I will post picks of my rear when I finish it, but I like fabbing too much to turn it into a job... I want it to be fun for a while- you know? Feel free to copy mine when I post picks.

I have seen the duff's. I think they have one for the 8.8 that is a truss too...

Back