Explorers refused at Discount Tire? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorers refused at Discount Tire?

Ok, today was the day I finally could go get my 31's put on my truck. I drive all the way out to Discount, after calling ahead and making a appointment, and checking price, availability, etc. Well I pay for em, they pull milage, check rim size blah blah, pull the truck in and then tell me minutes later they were not allowed to put anything other than factory stock size on any Explorer. I was refunded and sent packing.
Is this something new, and does it apply any where else? I expect the Uhaul turndown, but not this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had this same damn thing happen to me the other day when i tried to have a set of 31's mounted on mine. i went to wal mart first. the quoted me a price to mount the tires that were in the back of the truck onto my wheels. they came out and looked at the tires and the truck. told me it'd be about an hour and that they'd call when it was done. about an hour went by and i went back to the service center. he said that he was about to call me. apparently they couldn't do it because the tires were bigger than the factory size on the door sticker. i proceded to go to national tire and battery. he told me that he couldn't do it either... not because of the size, but due to the fact that they were used tires. i ended up going to about 4 other places before finding a mom and pop that would do it. talk about a pain the ass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the issue will come up again for air checks or flat repair's.

I was just at Discount Tire and they had no problem doing a rotation, balance and pressure check on 35" tires that they sold me and mounted on my Explorer four years ago. This is a very old thread to bring up, and I don't think its an issue anymore.

well It still is an issue as I was gonna buy 265/75/16s for stock explorer rims for my 98 explorer w/3"BL, & TT, warrior shackles & AAL last summer at Disc Tire & they would only do it if it was carry in wheels & carry out mounted.

I guess it depends on the store or district manager, or maybe the state. The store in Poway, California put tires on my daughter's Ranger on the stock rims that are 4 sizes bigger than stock. Two sets so far for the Ranger and Explorer.

This is why I in a pick up. I just take them off and have them done. No questions. However watching them Ballance 37’s is funny

Back