• Register Today It's free!

EZ locker clunk

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Anyone running a Detroit EZ locker? I just installed and ran mine, its on the front D35, I'm getting a loud "Clunk"/ "Bang", when I enter or exit a turn. Is this normal? It sounds like someone hitting the diff with a hammer, going straight no noise, just turning. Its much louder on hard packed dirt road, I only heard it once in soft sand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be that the teeth on it are getting worn causing it to slip occasionally. Otherwise I would say that it's just re-engaging as you come out of a tight turn.

open up the diff and recheck all the clearances, and look for chips or guages on the teeth of the gears. Its really easy to not notice a hundreth of an inch sometimes. some clicking is normal, but not loud bangs/clunking. You also may want to check out your balljoints, they can make a similar noise when they need replacing.

R3dAlert said:
open up the diff and recheck all the clearances, and look for chips or guages on the teeth of the gears. Its really easy to not notice a hundreth of an inch sometimes. some clicking is normal, but not loud bangs/clunking. You also may want to check out your balljoints, they can make a similar noise when they need replacing.
Everything is new, Balljoints, bearings, seals, axle U joints, brakes, locker is new out of box, Today is the first time I ran it. The sound reminds me of a binding u-joint I can feel a lurch along with the clunk.

Bad Hub?

I posted earlier about a loud clunk after I installed a EZ locker. This is the first time I've run the rig since an axle swap. About the only part I did not replace was the hubs. Would a bad Warn manual hub cause clunking on turns?

Is this in 2wd or 4wd? I've noticed that when I coast into a sharp turn in 2wd the front will bind a little sometimes but with my stick shift i'll just put it in neutral and it's fine. Clanks and bangs with automatic lockers can be normal behavior as they re-engage when you are under power. Did you perform the standard test they walk you through after you installed the locker with the vehicle on jack stands? You may want to ensure that all of the springs are still in the locker.

BenS said:
Is this in 2wd or 4wd? I've noticed that when I coast into a sharp turn in 2wd the front will bind a little sometimes but with my stick shift i'll just put it in neutral and it's fine. Clanks and bangs with automatic lockers can be normal behavior as they re-engage when you are under power. Did you perform the standard test they walk you through after you installed the locker with the vehicle on jack stands? You may want to ensure that all of the springs are still in the locker.
Only in 4wd. Its the first time I've ever driven a rig with lockers. Its just the noise is very loud and violent sounding. I dont have another person around right now to do the "lock-unlock" check. I will tell you this, with both wheels on stands, transfer case and trans in gear(driveshaft locked) both wheels are locked. I cant get either one to disengage by myself. The road I tested it on is very hardpacked maintained dirt. Is this too much like pavemet to have the thing locked in? Most of the "Real" off roading I do is in soft sand/ gravel wash bottoms, with a fair amount of steep hill climbing.

Ya, I think the problem is where you tested it. Even with an open front differential if you drive on a pavement-like surface in 4wd low your truck will lurch and the tires will probably chirp.

If you read the instructions it specifically states not to run on pavement or pavement-like surfaces, for the very fact that the locker engagement will be very harsh.

Back