donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Some questions regarding the EZ-Locker

After reading all 219 thousend posts on this toppic, I decided to go with the Detroit EZ-Locker.

I have now a couple of questions for you guys: My vehicle is a 1997 XLT SOHC with 3.55 gears.

- I have the Ford 8.8 rear end. Is this correct?
- Besides the locker and a probably new diff cover seal, are there other parts I need to buy?
- How difficult is the installation? I'm not stupid, but not a mechanic either. Changing break pads is about as far as I went in the past. And I just have basic tools. Could somebody give me a rough overview what it involves, if I need to pull out half-shafts and disassemble breaks etc. or if it is easier than that.
- What's your guess how much would it cost me approximately to have the locker installed in a shop?
- And last: 4wheelparts sells the EZ-Locker for around $ 270.- Is there a chaeper place around?

I have read most previous posts regarding lockers. Is there any strong arguments against the EZ-Locker that I would not be aware of.

Thanks guys in advance for your advise!

[Edited by donkey boy on 11-09-2000 at 07:35 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

????No answers????

Are my questions too stupid, or the task than complicated that nobody dares to answer?

I guess I should have titled it "PIAA-Lockers" and I would have had the correct answer in a flick of a second :-D

Yes; it's an 8.8. However, Detroit only makes a drop-in unit for the open diff. If you have the Limited-Slip (Lot-a-slip) option, then the only unit available for the L/S is made by Power Trax. It's just as easy to install as the E/Z but cost more($400).

Thanks

First question answered. My diff is open, so the EZ-Locker should work.

What about questions 1 to 400? Anyone?

All Explorers have the 8.8 31 spline rear end. If yours is a 3.55, you have an open diff, which means you can use the EZ-Locker. I can't comment on ease of installation other than to say I know that it is a bear on the front diffy and best left to a shop to install. In the rear, it may be a piece of cake, but I don't know. It is a "lunchbox locker" using your original carrier and isn't as strong as a full Detroit, but unless you do hardcore wheeling it should hold up fine for you.

I am pretty sure there would be no way to install any locker without having to go to the trouble of removing your c-clips and moving out your half axles to install the locker.

[Edited by GJarrett on 11-09-2000 at 07:55 AM]

I was told with the limited slip in the rear, you get a new carrier for about 50 bucks, then you can install it. This is what I read on another thread because I want to do Lock Rights front and rear in my truck.
Hope that helped somewhat...
Pete

HIX found a Powertrax No-Slip at West Coast Diffs for $289-$309. Just thought you might want to check it out. If you ever want to lower your gear to 4.10 or lower, chances are you may not be able to use your EZ Locker. With the No-Slip you don't have to get a new carrier, it's made for open or LS differential, you just have to tell them so they can ship you the right one. If you have 3.55 now and want to go down to 4.10 you can still use the No-Slip locker, nothing has to be changed. Installation was about $280 on mine.

kvo,

How do you like the powertrax? I was thinking about getting it, but don't have over $500 laying around for it and installation. I do mostly on-road driving, but go light offroading often. I have problems on wet grass mostly. I try not to get in situations I know I can't get out of. I have 2wd and the stock Goodyears. I'm not planning on getting larger tires, but I am planning on going to 3.73 from 3.27. So, is the Powertrax for me?

Also, will the Powertrax help my on-road launch any? What about high speed cornering?

I have a lock right powertrax, I love it. It only cost me about $300 and only took me forty five minutes to install. I have one and my friend has one in his jeep. We both run 33 in. tires and we run the ******* off of our vehicles and neither one of us has managed to break it (yet). It doesnt make the vehicle handle any different at high speeds, but it will make a difference turning corners. It will also wear out your rear tires 100 times faster (when you turn and accelerate the inside tire spins and wears out your tires). It is alot of fun on snow and ice, I drive around sliding and fishtailing everywhere. I would definately recommend a lock right.

Okay Brett...Just what I'm looking for...What stock axle/gear/Ls or not axle did ya start with...I've got a 3.73 Ls and I wanna go with Lock-Rights after seein what Kampy could do in his ranger with Lock-Rights front and rear....Did you need a new carrier or any other parts?
Thanks!
Pete

Why do you guys prefer the lockrites over the Detroit EZ-Lockers?

I've seen a guys truck with lock-rights...he did awesome and had no complaints! So that is why I wanna do the same.
Pete

Update:

I just got an e-mail from Ray Sanchez of 4wheelparts. As Gerald already said (no need to ask other people when you can get a hold of Gerald!) no additional parts carrier or what so ever are needed.

He also said that installation should not take more than a couple of hours, what ever this means! LOL

RFFR2212
I have an 8.8 with 3:27 gears and an open differential. I did not need a carrier, the lock right just replaces the spider gears with the locking gears.(it is very simple once you see it). I do not know about a limited slip, I went to put one in my brothers jeep and found out it has factory posi. This is going to need a new carrier. I have never seen a ford limited slip, if the clutches are between the spiders it shouldn't be a problem, but if the clutches are outside the spiders you will need a different carrier. I could tell by taking off the differential cover or you could ask around on the site. I would be more than willing to help if you would bring your explorer to school. I only live 25 miles from macomb. I also go to school here. Let me know.

Brett--How come I haven't seen you're truck around at all? I hear there is some different carrier becuase I have the limited slip...But then again, I dunno...I'm hopin someone will reply that has done this too...Brett, why not go to Attica with us on the week of the 18th?
Pete

Back