Fan Blade Hitting Belt Tensioner?????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan Blade Hitting Belt Tensioner??????

Darkstar

Reaction score
City, State
Fair Oaks, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
Hi I have a 94 ford explorer and after 4 wheeling hard one day my engine started making this weird clicking noise. I looked and saw that my fan was hitting my belt tensioner, and it looks like my tensioner is popping out too far and hitting my fan for some reason. Has anybody ever seen this or heard of this? what the hell is wrong it is making a loud clicking noise and it seems like my engine is starting to run hot. Please help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site... that doesnt sound good... sounds like the frame is bent or something along those lines.....

running hot could mean that this extra rubbing is slowing down the fan not allowing it to work properly.... what kind of wheeling were you doing? is it possible you hit something? wheeling also cuases lots of vibrations and qucik jolts to the vehcile, are all the bolts tight? or did any of them possibly loosen?

take the tensioner off and look at it.
Take a close look at the fan, does the fan have cracks around the hub?

they should not be touching at all, dont drive it, you need to repair the tensioner, or fan. Without looking at it this is very hard to tell you exactly whats wrong...

I second the idea of a bent frame...

My tensioner, when it was going bad, was being pulled away from the mounting pivot-point (exposing the plastic sleeve beneath the arm). It wasn't bad enough to hit the fan, though. I would think that if it got to the point where it was hitting the fan it would have snapped off by now.

If you think the tensioner is still good, and the arm is still perpendicular to the front of the engine, it may be possible that a blade is broken. Spin the fan by hand and see if it hits every blade or just one.

okay you guys how would a bent frame cause the fan to hit the tensioner? They are both mounted to the front of the engine. bending the frame will only move the engine.

The fan can hit the tensioner if the fan or tensioner come apart, or the waterpump is falling apart, thats it.

yup, you're right 410...i guess the only way to get the fan to hit the tensioner would be if it was A. Broken, or B. the body was damaged - the latter being obvious ;)

hahah the thread stopper, I like that.

A visual inspection should be able to pinpoint the problem :)

It seems like the belt tensioner is falling apart or something, like the front of it is comeing off. I can push it in and it seems like its spring loaded or someing. Do you think i just need a new belt tensioner? Where would i get one?

Nick

the tensioners are known for going out on the ohv 4.0. i replaced mine just in time. i went in for my I/M and the guy called me out and said "look at this" it was bend and the belt was not sitting on it right. only a $30 part and pretty easy to fix.

YES, replace it! - it's a 20minute/$25 fix (plus a new belt cuz your's is liklely streched to hell)....You need (2) tools - a 3/8" or 1/2" (can't remember which, but i think 3/8")ratchet (or breaker bar) to release the tension on the belt and the correct socket for the tensioner bolt.

Good luck - watch your knuckles on the fanblade, though, it WILL be in the way!

alright cool guys im going to make sure to fix it first thing.

Back