• Register Today It's free!

fan clutch nut??

95xltthumper

Reaction score
City, State
dade city fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I had to change the water pump in my 95 xlt a few weeks age and due to the frustration and required technique its taken me this long to post this question.

I needed that special wrench set that is supposedly needed to remove the fan clutch. (had to buy it couldn't rent it. $56) When i got it home i found out is was not the right size. In order to save the pulley, fan, and clutch i was forced to drill, cut, and smash the **** out of the old water pump. Was kind of a stress reliever, so in the end was all good.

Has anyone else had this problem? Why would the wrench not fit? It seemed to be too big buy a few millimeters. The smallest in the set was a 36mm and the nut turned out to be a 33mm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read about similar problems. Advance Auto Parts has a special clutch tool (Part No. W80585/AC808) for "4.9 Ford engines".

I already took it back, it went back that day. but i also had to eat the core charge on the pump, like i said i had to drill, cut, and smash the old pump to save the pulley, fan, and clutch.

'just used a big 'ol 1-7/16" open end -after taking out a fan bolt- and wedged a short prybar under a pulley and between two pump bolts. 'worked like a charm on a '97 xploder.

Back