FET Catz Aux. Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FET Catz Aux. Lights

Hey guys, I've got some questions about FET auxiliary lights. I've never read anything about them on this site, which makes me wonder about their quality. I've heard about them through some friends of mine back home and they also have a website, if anyone would like to visit. They look really nice, and they even offer hyper white technology, but I'd like to hear what others have to say about them. (I like their model MSX Driving light)

http://www.fet-usa.com

If anyone knows anything about these lights, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stephen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sthphen , I have the Catz MSX fog lights on my car and the SP projectors on the Explorer. I bought them each off Ebay and needed to contact Catz for missing parts (they were cheaper that way). They were very helpfull & friendly.
The lights are great with the same complete wiring harnes as PIAA. The MSX fogs are comparable to the PIAA 1500 so I would think the driving light would be also. But, being smaller that the 1500 it might not put out as much light. Plus you can put the 85/130 bulb in the 1500 and that really lights up the night.
If space is not a problem go w/Piaa.
Quality wise I think they are really close.
I like the PIAA push button switches better that the Catz rocker type. The rockers are a much higher quality than the aftermarket type or Hella though..Nice for rocker type.

Bill, thanks a lot for the info. I was wondering though. Catz offers a "Hyperbulb." in the model MSX. Do you have the hyperbulbs? I'm looking into buying PIAA's superwhite replacement headlights and I was hoping that my future driving lights would closely match my headlights in color. I did look into the PIAA 1500's as well, and I am debating between them and the Catz MSX. Only thing is that PIAA doesn't offer a superwhite bulb in the 1500's. But they do offer it in the Solitaires (Model 001). I'd like to put the driving lights on the side of the front license plate holder, in the center of the bumper (I have a 1995 Explorer), so mounting space may be a problem.

Originally posted by Stephen S
Bill, thanks a lot for the info. I was wondering though. Catz offers a "Hyperbulb." in the model MSX. Do you have the hyperbulbs? I'm looking into buying PIAA's superwhite replacement headlights and I was hoping that my future driving lights would closely match my headlights in color. I did look into the PIAA 1500's as well, and I am debating between them and the Catz MSX. Only thing is that PIAA doesn't offer a superwhite bulb in the 1500's. But they do offer it in the Solitaires (Model 001). I'd like to put the driving lights on the side of the front license plate holder, in the center of the bumper (I have a 1995 Explorer), so mounting space may be a problem.

just FYI, the 1500's can be upgraded to the superwhite bulbs for about $25. It's not offered standard from the factory though.

Stephen, The Catz would be easier to mount in the bumper location. I had the PIAAs there once and had to use four long bolts that came from the grill to the mounting bracket.
Not hard, just a pain. Catz has a clamp bracket that would work easier.
The 85/130 bulbs I mentioned come in the superwhite at about $25. ea.
Either would match the PIAA headlight.
However seeing as how you are getting a driving light you would/should have it off when anyone is close ehough in front of you to see the difference.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that the 1500's are upgradable to superwhite. I'm sure both the Catz and the PIAAs are bright enough for my needs, but I'd just like to have the colors match as close as I can for when I show them off. I want to be able to see on the dark roads around here, and my stock headlights just aren't cutting it. I'm worried about a pair of fog lights not casting enough light in front of my truck since they are designed to spread the light out to the sides. I know that driving lights cast light far ahead of the vehicle but it may be overkill for my purposes. I don't want to blind other drivers, but I want to be able to light up the road.

Well....Thats why you need both fog and driving lights. The fog to suppliment the low beams and the driving to see that deer in the road.
You never got enough lights.....unless your Matt.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp

You never got enough lights.....unless your Matt.
You saying i have enough lights? LOL
By the way stephen, you may want to consider the piaa 980's. There about the same size as the 1500's, but have one driving light and one fog light. I don't know how good they are I've never tried em, and they are kinda expensive, btu I've heard they rock!

Well, I would really like to have a set of fogs and a set of driving lights so I can see in both bad weather and see that deer up the road. But the fact is that my budget will only allow me to get one set at a time. So I guess it comes down to which set will do the most for me in both situations for the time being, and until I can get the second set. Matt, thanks for the heads up on the 980's. I'll check the dimensions on those too and see if they will fit where I want to put them.

Back