Question about Aux Lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about Aux Lighting

I have a question I have always kinda wondered about, but felt it was maybe a dumb question so never asked it.

I see a lot of SUVs, A LOT, with auxiliary driving lights on their brush guards such as the round lights (Like PIAAs 520s). I know some are driving lights and some are fog lights. If you have fog lights such as the PIAA 520s, can you actually turn them on at night when you are in the city and drive around town or is that illegal? I am guessing having driving lights on is illegal since they are aimed a little higher then the fogs and have a tendency to blind drivers.

Do any of you drive around town with your round fogs on?

The reason I am asking this is because I want to some day get both a roof rack and a brush guard. If I can turn my fog lights on at night in the city then I will get Fog lights for the brush guard and driving lights that I use off road for the roof rack.

Any info would be appreciated. I will be sure to post pictures if I ever actually do the work.

aggieEB

I say go with driving lights. You really won't get to use big lights like that arround oncomming traffic even if they are fogs. Usually you would turn them off as well. Or yet even better Get a set of Driving round on top of the brush guard and a set of rectangle Fogs for the bottom of the brush guard. Then you have the best of both. But if you are like me and most other people in here Lights are addictive and the more you get the more you will want!

Case in point:
mattwaterfall1sml.jpg

Yeah it looks like from the picture I will know it is you if I see the sun coming down the road at night.

2 cents worth comming up....
I would go with fog lights. 90% of most of our driving is done w/low beams and that is where fog lights do the most good. They can be aimed so they wont bother other drivers. Matter of fact, fogs should be aimed low.
Driving lights are great but you can always go a little slower and not miss the long distance light. When you need fogs there is no substitute. After using and reading about amber or white light I would go with the clear/white. Snow is the only place that the amber have an advantage over white. The few times I have found it necessary to really need them, even in MI, the clear do a good job. You just get more light out of clear lamps.
Little long...maby this is 5 cents worth.

Get both.

I have a set of PIAA 1100X lights and a set of PIAA 510 lights. I drive around town with the 1100's on all the time. theyare bright, but not blindingly so. I don't use the 510's in town, as they are really bright. I have the 510 set up to come on with my high beams only.

Back