filling up transmission fluid on 2002 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

filling up transmission fluid on 2002 explorer

fredflypogger

Reaction score
City, State
belvider,nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
hi
just bought a used 2002 explorer xlt with 62 k miles 4.0 liter motor.
i bought a new pan gasket and transmission filter. i was all ready to change the fluid but i could not figure out how to to refill the transmission with fluid. owners manual says there is no dipstick. all i see is a small filler plug about halfway up the tranny on the drivers side.
i called 3 ford dealers and 2 said to fill it up at this filler plug, another dealer said to fill it up at the drain plug. he said to turn the truck on and put the tranny fluid bottle in the drain hole. he said the tranny will suck it up and it will drip out when filled. that sounded crazy to me.
can any one tell what the correct procedure is? what size pump would i use to fill it up with?
thanks a lot
todd

Not sure I have the exact answer but this thread might be a start...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

also as I check into this further.... (this is the 5R55W trannie... a very interesting creature not yet explored on this forum - YET) the top hole is the "plant" fill hole. The manual apparently wants you to use the bottom hole... even for a total refill after a rebuild... definitely want a pump for that. Curious what they were thinking about this, and why only the factory gets the top hole.

I Was Told Thet You Shouldent Touch The Trainni For 150 K. It Is Seald.

I Am Afraid That This Will Give Us A Lot Of Headaches In The Future

Back