For Sale - First Gen 4" Front end lift from Explorer $230 + shipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale First Gen 4" Front end lift from Explorer $230 + shipping

First Gen 4" Front end lift from Explorer $250 + shipping

Includes springs, stainless brake lines, 3.5 drop pitman arm, front rancho shocks, and drop brackets only. 'Dannyboy' mentioned on Post #15 it's a Trailmaster - be sure to read his post. I purchased it used - the picture is when I purchased last spring and was told it was removed from an '87 Ranger. I'm upgrading to an 8" lift. The steering linkage and swing arms pictured are not included (not that you need them), nor are any rear lift parts included. You will also need extended sway bar links - depends on your setup. May need some hardware to bolt to frame, I'm not sure - I'll send as much extra bolts/nuts as I can. Uses standard radius arms.

*Update 11/6 11:15am EST: It will include 50% of the Hardware, but I've sweetened the pot with Front Rancho shocks (Purchased new in Sept/2011) and the Stainless brake lines*

The setup pictured: SOA rear, and I used the F150 spacers up front to have any overall height of 5.5". It was alignable and drives fine. Bump steer is a little squirrely - not to bad, but noticeable.

Will not be available till after 11/6.

Attachments

• ExplorerSide.jpg
    ExplorerSide.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,241
  • ExplorerGlow.jpg
    ExplorerGlow.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,030
  • liftShrunk.JPG
    liftShrunk.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,005

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very interested! shipping to 82601 ... any ideas??

Shipping estimation

Origin zip: 46214 Destination zip: 82601

UPS Ground $49.94 Billable Weight: 50.0 lbs. I estimated the weight a little high (I think) just to be safe.

And it includes springs, brake lines, 3.5 drop pitman arm, and drop brackets? Im trying to think what else i'd need to apply this from my stock 94. .. ?

Parts and advice

Yes, here's the BOM

2 - Standard Radius arm drop brackets
2 - Pivot arm drop brackets
2 - Brake lines (Stainless braided)
2 - Front Lift Springs
1 - FA300 Drop pitman arm
2 - Rancho Shocks (RS5117)

Assuming your intentions are to duplicate my setup:

Off the shelf:
-Front/Rear shocks (Rancho) $55 Each
-Extended U bolts for rear end (available at Autozone) $20 set
-F150 coil spacers or large washers stacked to desired height. $20
-Spring perches for rear end for SOA setup, purchase online or Tractor supply,$15 (The one's at tractor supply suck, online reccomended)
-Offset camber bushings. $20

Fabbed parts:
-Two lugnut wrenches to cut down to extend anti-sway bars (these work perfect and are the right diameter), local boneyard, Each bar will give you 2 X 5.5" extensions. $5

Tools or farm out:
-Weld up anti sway bars and spring perches to rear axles.
-Torch to heat up lower spring mount nut for removal. (PB Blaster didn't work for me)
-32mm deep well socket (Online, not one brick and mortar store had these)
-Breaker bar
-22mm socket
-21mm socket
-19mm socket
-18mm socket deepwell
-17mm socket
-16mm socket
-15mm socket deepwell
-14mm socket
-13mm socket
-Pitman arm puller (don't get the Autozone one)
-Alignment (Or two levels, angle gauge, tape measure, and a plumb-bob)

Attachments

• DropPitman3.5.jpg
    DropPitman3.5.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 910
  • FrontTTBSetup5.5.jpg
    FrontTTBSetup5.5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 936
  • RearAxleSetup.jpg
    RearAxleSetup.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 926
  • WasherLiftFront.jpg
    WasherLiftFront.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 922

good luck with the 8inch lift too

8" Skyjacker

Thanks, here's the upgrade.

And the reason I'm selling my 4" lift, which essentially is the same BOM I'm selling, but I'm including the Pitman arm and front shocks too.

Attachments

• 8inSkyjackerLift.jpg
    8inSkyjackerLift.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,109

If i had the money right on hand, I wouldnt hesitate a second to buy this lift.
at earliest i'm guessing about two weeks and i'll have it.
I like your set up, and i think i'd prolly trash the sway bars front and rear, at least for a while.
Not too hard to install??

Installation, It's difficult to gauge

I only say that because I'm not familiar with your skill level and it depends if you can get a wrench turning freind to help here and there. It was easy for me, but I have lots of tools, obsessed while researching this forum, I've dis/assembled it multiple times over the years, and didn't have the compounded pressure to finish by the next day because It's not my sole transportation.
If you look at my profile, I work IT. I'm not a mechanic by trade, I'm a computer nerd but It's OK for me to say, because I embrace it. I'd starve if I were a mechanic.

Hardest mechanical part was removing the 32mm Coil spring retainer nuts. The tedious part was aligning the front end myself. I carried the neccessary tools for 2 weeks till I got it juuuuust right. Pulling over all the time, Tweaking here and there when I found a level parking lot and had some shade. I got pretty darn good at this.

Hindsight, I'd sell the FA300 from this kit and go with th FA600 because of the bump-steer. That is, if you duplicate my setup. It was next on my upgrade list but they don't come available too often and I'm a cheap-skate, penny-pinchin', squeaker. They're @ $200 alone. I ended up finding the 8" kit so now it's a mute point.

My last suggestion to you is if it's your daily driver and plan on no sway bars. It's a topsy-turvy wobbly ride, and you'll be limited to 45 mph and I would discourage it. Please find some spare rods, cut the wishbones down yourself and take them to someone to get them welded.

And just keep an eye on this thread, I'll keep the for sale status updated. Good luck to you. I want someone to appreciate it as much as I do, and I'm sure you would but be realistic on expectations of cost, performance, and committment.

well i wouldnt call myself an expert, but i'm no beginner.
I like to hear that about the hardest part though, I have those to where i can get them off with my fingers... and a box end of course.
If you could do 250 shipped, and noone wants it before i can get it, it's a done deal.

Deal....

Now, time to sweat and hope no one snatches this up. I'm surprised it's lasted this long, I was looking for 3 years with no luck till I found this last August and I thought I was the luckiest A-hole in Indy. Not sure if there's reduced interest in fixing up a first gen or what (Been there, done that). Maybe we could debate the economy and blame the President. Seems kind of a win/win with the availability of parts and the abundance of knowledge for these. Then I find a second one up for sale only 3 mo later? WTF? Both were on CL for a month or two. Guess they should have advertised here? Right?

Sounds like you'll be OK installing. It's not rocket science, it's just that it's an awkward job, parts are heavy and cumbersome and you're working under instead of over the truck. The bolts are usually rusty, hard to remove-something that will roadblock most people. Plus you're not done spending here, you have a few other items to buy which add up, not ot mention the incidentals. Oops, I need to buy a bushing; Oops, i need a bolt; Opps, I broke my brake line; Darn it, this thing's pulling to the left; What's that new noise?; etc....

The guy I bought it from, bought it from his friend as one of his projects which he never got around to, you know that old chestnut. We've all been there. I have to admit I did take some pleasure and selfish pride when I sent him the 'after' shots. "See, look what i did in a week that you never even started, isn't it awsome and doesn't it look good, too bad it isn't yours?"

8" lift installed in 1 day....kinda'

With the exception of setting the tow/castor/camber, adding front spacers to level, welding up extended sway bar links, and no shocks since it's now too tall to reuse the front shocks. I started at 10:30 am and it's 1 am now. This included a trip to the local Pic A Part to remove my rear f150 springs. I'll post pics tomorrow, I'm exhasted.

I had to raise the price a little to account for the addition of front shocks. They are 3 months old

Can you find out what shipping would be to MI 48145?

Shipping estimate via UPS

Can you find out what shipping would be to MI 48145?

Source Zip: 46214 Destination Zip: 48145

Billable weight: 50 lb, Cost: $32.38 USD

This looks like the exact same lift I had originally on my '94. This is the trailmaster lift. One last part is needed, a bump stop on the driver side, if not, when the suspension cycles up, the lift bracket will contact the differential. I managed to pop a hole right in mine.

It was okay for street driving but if you hit a large bump or flex the truck offroad, it will damage the differential. I wish I would have known about that $15 fix when I installed mine.

Reply to Dannyboy: That's helpful advice

Thank you for ID'ing the kit and again for pointing out the hazard warning. It's another benefit of lifting an older vehicle, you can learn from someone else's lessons. I did not use/have the bumpstop. I vaguely remember someone mentioning it in reading lifting posts, but i've since forgoten about it till you reminded me.

I've only had this kit 3 months, and have not been wheeling with it at all, It's not because I didn't want to, but because the opportunity never presented itself and it's just not what I use it for (I can't say how it was used by the previous owner), plus I don't want to tear my truck up.
It's important to consider the application and use of your rig when building such a vehicle. Use me as an example, I have no advice to give to a hard core exprienced off roader. I live in Indianapolis/Speedway where this an urban, flat environment and I don't 'wheel'. Therefore; my gear, lift size, wheel/tire combination, and swaybar setup might be different from others. I call my truck 'Fur Coat' because it looks nice, keeps me comfortable in the winter, It's luxurious, flashy, but is of little use when doing any real work outside of getting through the snow in style.
Some of the choices I've made in selecting my setup might have asthetics or costmetic considerations as a higher priority on my list than someone else's. Buying large, I think most of the members on this Forum are building these for other purposes - correct me if I'm wrong.

send me pic's of all that is included in the lift for sale and i may buy it :D do you take paypal

That was then, here it is now.

I do paypal, you can obtain my address through my profile. I don't want to post it on here due to bots and harvesters.

Attachments

• FourInchLift.jpg
    FourInchLift.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 910

What's the best u can do shipped to mich. Zip code 48145

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clarify

What's the best u can do shipped to mich. Zip code 48145

I thought I already answered this till I reread my post and it didn't contain the source and destinatin zip codes, it's corrected now. Please note this is an estimate by UPS's estimator, it could be a little less or more depending on package size and weight.

Back