Fitting wheels with different hub bore size, and black wheel options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fitting wheels with different hub bore size, and black wheel options

Does anyone have a 2nd gen explorer with black rims that aren't the super basic off road ones? I get that they do their job and they're strictly about business, but curious what other rims could look like so would like to see some pics :)

My teardrop wheels are starting to look pretty bad on my 2000 XLT. I want to replace them, preferably with something black. I kinda want to start going for that "overlander" look, so I found these Vision Overland wheels (okay looks like their website just redirects links but if you search, it's the 355 Manx 2 Overland) that might be what I'm looking for. It looks like they have the correct bolt battern of 5x4.5, but only come in 16x8 (which is fine by me) but the bore is 83.00. Based of what I can find, my car has a bore size of 70.5. Can I just get some sort of spacer? I feel like these explorer wheels are lug and hub centric so I worry about the spacers not being durable enough. Or am I just crazy and they aren't actually hub centric? Also are there just not a lot of options or am I being goofy with how I'm searching for rims? It seems like I can get those basic looking black ones that are strictly business - but I'm interested in exploring what other rims could look like. I see some other options offered by Vision but they look like a little too much to me. Like they're a little too detailed compared to the rest of the car and they would just stand out, unless I started swapping out bumpers, adding accessories, etc etc.

They’re hun centric as stated above. They don’t really take any load, and should be fine.

They’re hun centric as stated above. They don’t really take any load, and should be fine.
Ah cool, was just about to ask does material matter? I see a lot of these are plastic so I imagine the material isn't a big deal, but want to double check.

Back