• Register Today It's free!

Flat tow. Road tow

Michael Duffield

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Hill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
2003 explorer xlt. 4x4. What parts do I need to flat tow behind a motorhome. I believe a computer update is needed. With some electrical wiring. Is this still possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the front driveshaft needs to be removed...a computer update is not needed.

in a 2nd gen there is a neutral tow kit available

I believe the front driveshaft needs to be removed...a computer update is not needed.
Not true. This would be to install a neutral tow kit where the shafts do not need to be pulled. These were available for the 3rd gens, but are no longer in production. You’d need to find a used one, or new old stock.

Not true. This would be to install a neutral tow kit where the shafts do not need to be pulled. These were available for the 3rd gens, but are no longer in production. You’d need to find a used one, or new old stock.
im pretty sure they'd be easy to do yourself. im pretty sure there is a neutral mode on the case and the ford kit was just a light to tell you when its in N. the GEM has to be flashed to know to shift into neutral. the physical kit is iirc just a few wires and a light

Back