Flooding problem/need help.. stumped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flooding problem/need help.. stumped

stev0n

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt/90 s13/78 GoldWing
alright...

i finally got a new tranny in and now my truck is sputtering and guzzlin gas. Two gallons went thru it in about 20 minutes while idling today. it doesn't stall out, the revs just jump between 700-900 rpms. if i give it some gas, the revs will sit at 1100 rpms or so for a few seconds then drop back down.

It has new plugs and wires.
MAF was cleaned out yesterday (didnt help)
I've gone over everything and cant find any vacuum leaks.

I'm gonna try checking and/or cleaning the IAC tomorrow. But can anyone give me other options to try if it doesn't work?

I've been without a vehicle for a few weeks now as my 240 is out of commission for a while and the exploder is supposed to go to the body shop tomorrow.

Anyone that can help PLEASE feel free to do so! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd start with basic diagnostics: check for fuel in vacuum line to FPR, check fuel pressure, and pull codes.

IAC is fine. fuel pressure regulator is fine. but the truck is still running like ass - i cant figure it out.

autozone and other places can't scan a 94. only 96 and up & i can't afford to have a mechanic shop scan it right now.

any other options??

A paper clip is all that is required to pull codes yourself. There are three stickies here (one in this forum and two in the EEC-IV subforum) that describe the procedure.

alright, but my check engine light isn't currently on, so will it start flashing anyways?

i think maybe my check engine bulb is shot. because when i tried to pull the codes, the light never came on. also i tried revving in park and it wouldnt hit over 3000rpms.

any ideas??????

If you run the tests, and the computer has no DTC's to report, it will flash 111 pass codes (11 if a '91).

Does your CEL come on with the key on, engine off?

If the CEL is burned out, you can use an analog voltmeter or a test light to get the codes. The setup is described in the aforementioned stickies.

went and bought an obd1 scanner last night and the truck threw 3 codes at me. they are the following:

KOER

KOEO

so i take it i need to replace my o2 sensors (great, there's another $100 to add to the other $1000 or so being thrown into the truck this month).....

went and bought an obd1 scanner last night and the truck threw 3 codes at me. they are the following:

KOER

KOEO

so i take it i need to replace my o2 sensors (great, there's another $100 to add to the other $1000 or so being thrown into the truck this month).....

I don't find a code 17 in the Ford list, you sure that is what it displayed? Maybe the code reader..........41 is lean, 42 is rich, this could be caused by lots of stuff besides the oxygen sensor.

Revving the engine in park or neutral it will stop around 3K/3.5K, this is a designed in rev limiter, means nothing.

Your profile indicates that you have a '94. Are these codes from your '94, or are you now working on a '91? A '91 is the only Explorer that would output 2 digit codes. A '94 should output three digit codes.

my explorer is a 94. the obd1 scanner i bought from advance auto & it's an Actron Ford, Lincoln, Mercury EEC-IV reader & has a book with it that tells what codes are what.

it shot out only 2 digit codes at me. 1 flash *pause 7 flashes then a 5 or 6 second pause & 4 flashes *pause 1 flash, and so on.

the book says

Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor - signal voltage indicates "rich" during Engine Run Self Test (lean air/fuel conditions)

So if it's not the o2 sensors, then what would it be?

that indication is the sensor telling you that you have a "running rich" problem which you already know. Normally, those codes are telling that your sensor is bad so don't bother replacing it (codes saying that it isn't switching/ slow to switch may indicate a bad sensor).

How do you know your FPR is good???

My guess would be a bad TPS and / or your engine temperature sensor.

i put a new fpr in about 8 months ago to see if it would fix the problem...but didn't. and it's only had about 800 miles or less put on it since i put it in.

what is your fuel pressure??

I suspect the ECT sensor. This chart is # 25 in my list of useful threads:
41928895.gif

sorry guys havent been on in a lil while.

bought a couple of used o2 sensors from the junkyard yesterday for $15 and put em in this morning. it's like drivin a new truck. got power back and my gas mileage.

it's an awesome thing to drive a good 15-20 miles and not have the gas hand move!

i think i'm gonna go ahead and replace a lot of the sensors and such to get back running like new

do yall think it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the engine temp, tps, iac, and maybe mass air flow?

Your profile indicates that you have a '94. Are these codes from your '94, or are you now working on a '91? A '91 is the only Explorer that would output 2 digit codes. A '94 should output three digit codes.

Hello MrShorty!

Do you know about some error code reader for a 91 explorer I can buy from the web? Do I also need an error code chart?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello MrShorty!

Do you know about some error code reader for a 91 explorer I can buy from the web? Do I also need an error code chart?
Other than knowing that they exist, I've never used one, so I don't know a lot about them. I've always just used a voltmeter or the CEL itself as my code reader (Read through the aforementioned stickies for a description of the test protocol).

I think some people like to buy the code reader because they find it easier to follow the instructions that come with the code reader, or because they pay enough to get a code reader that outputs code numbers/definitions rather than just a blinking light, and they feel that makes it easier.

I personally don't feel that it's worth the cost to buy an EEC-IV code reader. But if it will be easier for you, go ahead.

Back