• Register Today It's free!

Where's the Air !

skoville

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Springs, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Wellllll.the schmuck my wife bought the 97 explorer from, said the AC works you just have to --turn on hi-back to low, kick the dog, and she doesn't remember. If it's in the switches, can just the one be swapped? Or the whole panel ? Any way to bypass it as far as to trouble shoot? I've looked for a guide here but I may have missed it. Maybe upgrading to a newer Explorer. His hap hazard cutting of wire's ( I've posted images ) is a real bummer. Can that panel be swapped out for a later version ? Like one with a GPS/back up camera or whatever is available.
Darn thing thing is, I really like the thing.

crazy-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of turn it on high then low, doesn't seem like this is a switch issue, but since I've never heard of it, I could be wrong.

What exactly does and does not work correctly? When A/C is on does the compressor cycle on? Does the blower run and you just get hot air?

I'm not seeing any pictures (of cut wires), is this a problem on your end or mine? Can't see them in a different browser either...

No idea if a newer panel is compatible, tho' I suppose if you're patient looking or good at fabrication you could make something that bolts in and put whatever you want in it, but it seems like multiple steps getting ahead of the problem because if there's some way to jimmy the thing so that it works on low, that suggests that the switch low setting works.

You could pull it off and check electrical continuity with a multimeter or set the meter to current measurement mode to short (close) the connection between the relevant switch contacts.

Gee, if the previous owner went hacking away at the wiring I'd probably go the junkyard and just get the entire length of wiring from the first point he snipped to the connectors on the back of the panel. Possibly get the replacement panel too. Then put the new wiring and panel in as it was supposed to be from the factory. Heck of a lot easier than chasing electric gremlins forever.

Thaaanks, good advice! Why do they cut the wires?

You're going to have to provide more info for us to know what you're talking about.

Cutting wires in itself is no problem at all, to fix I mean. Same color to same color would just get soldered and heatshrink tubing insulated if they half-arse twisted them or did a dodgy crimp instead.

Could you come over and take a look ? Just kidding. I took images of the bundle, i'll dig them up or take new ones. so far AC does not work, previous owner said it worked but had ti fiddle with knobs a certain way. (wife took message). Cruise Control does not work, fan, heater both work. I've posted this before but easily missed, I know your busy. I'm the one with the buckled rear hatch.Never thought I'd like this old bucket, but they grow on you.
I'll dig up the pics.

cruise_control.JPG

DSCF2002.JPG

DSCF2003.JPG

DSCF2004.JPG

DSCF2005.JPG

DSCF2006.JPG

DSCF2010.JPG

Back