Ford 300 Inline 6 into a B2 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford 300 Inline 6 into a B2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really, I've gotten a lot of parts for the engine rebuild; .30 over pistons/rings, bearings, gaskets, cam, engine mounts, ect.

I'm pretty much done with the front suspension now, which has motivated me to get the rear done so it can be rolled around and off jack stands. I'm also leaning to a 2" body lift for bell housing and tcase clearance.

pfft why not a BFH??? :hammer::hammer::hammer:

I clear the 4r70w with a 1/2" body DROP

Long overdue update:

Pulled the engine so I can start the rebuild. It will be a complete overhaul. Bored out 30 over, forged aluminum pistons, new cam, bearings, oil pump, ect. I have most of the parts collected, Just need to get it torn down and sent out to be bored.

...Thanks for the update...:biggthump

...We were wondering how this build was going...Carry on...:popcorn:

Pulled the engine so I can start the rebuild. It will be a complete overhaul. Bored out 30 over, forged aluminum pistons, new cam, bearings, oil pump, ect. I have most of the parts collected, Just need to get it torn down and sent out to be bored.

thats what i like to hear. I am really impressed you are going with a 435, most ive seen doing some exotic swap use an anemic with an insufficient number of pedals.

Well, I am going to either have to make, or buy an adapter to mate the 435 to the dana 20 t-case though. I was hoping I could make the D21 adapter work that I have laying around, but it's a different bolt pattern. The adapters are big money, so i'll probably have two laser cut plates made with the bolt patterns and have a tube machined so I know it will be square and make my own. This way I can clock the t-case a bit for a flatter belly too.

Just need to clean up the block and it will be ready to send out to be bored.

2930583380084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

2645075070084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

Found a few surprises in disassembly. About half of the compression rings were cracked, one piston had a small hole in it, most of them had some decent dents in the top as well. Even with all of that, the block and cylinders still look good, under all the sludge...lol

2503333970084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

2219897710084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

2609757400084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

That's what you get with a I6, it just keeps on tickin. Is the camshaft driven by helical cut gears? Awesome

Yes, helical gears drive the cam.

Nice. The 300's I have dealt with have always had a sludge issue. I don't know why, but there is something about that engine that causes it. I don't know that I saw, but what kinda induction system are you going to use?

I haven't really nailed down the induction setup, and exhaust. I'm hoping to find a Clifford intake manifold and some headers. I may just run stock EFI exhaust manifolds though. I have toyed with the idea of taking an EFI intake manifold, blocking the throttle body port and machining the top for my propane carb though :D

As you can tell I'm not too impressed with the stock carb style intake and exhaust manifolds...

I may just run stock EFI exhaust manifolds though. I have toyed with the idea of taking an EFI intake manifold, blocking the throttle body port and machining the top for my propane carb though :D

As you can tell I'm not too impressed with the stock carb style intake and exhaust manifolds...

Yeah, the stock 1bbl carb'd setup sucks. The efi is very bulky though, so overhead space may be an issue. I've got an extra EFI upper and lower laying around, pm me an offer if you are interested.

Was that engine still running? I've seen some of those that had such internal damage you wouldnt think they would run, but they did.

Something i have always wanted to do was make a billet side cover for a 300, as the stupid stamped steel one ALWAYS leaks.

I got this engine for $40 off Craig's list. The guy I bought it from said that he bought a truck with it in it knowing the engine ran, but burnt a lot of oil. He drove it roughly 60miles home, and did an engine swap.

Do you have exhaust manifolds too, or just the intake?

all I can think about when I check in here is torque torque torque

we are big fans of the inline six my dad and I, no experience with the 300 inline ford personally (except here online).......... but the Jeep, Mercedes, BMW, and especially the Toyota Supra straight six all have places in our hearts.

my mom recently went to a touareg V8 after the hurricane took out her 98 benz E class with the straight six......, this is her first V8 in like 9 cars, all BMW or Benzo straight sixes, my dad always has a Jeep Sahara to tool around in with the 5 speed, the old straight six 2002ish Saharah with dana 44's special order and 4.10 ring and pinion...a jeep with that combo is straight up go cart quick and fun to drive... but his pride and joy is his 98 Supra 6 speed turbo with 32K miles on it.... he has a straight pipe, BOV and waste gate.... its fast enough
Everytime he drives that car somebody offers to buy it, I think he paid $36K for it like 10 years ago now...

straight six in a BII with big tires is going to be FUN FUN FUN, its a perfect application!! boosted or not... it will motivate that truck

tooo bad Jeep removed the 4.0L inline from their new Wranglers, it figures, best Rubicon ever, 4 doors! (even though I wouldnt buy one) and a crappy V6

the BII 4x4 never should have had the poor Merkur 2.8 & 2.9L... car engines in a truck, oh well.... you are fixing that

you MUST get a video of it running when the time comes... I had too also, the people on this forum can really get you to do things you didnt think you ever would!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

no seriously this is wicked cool, right up there with a 3.8L SC ranger conversion, a 4.3L vortec in toy pickup, and SVO's boosted Navajo conversion in coolness factor...all conversions I think are good applications and unique as heck, even though the 2.3L T is better suited into a 2wd Ranger, Jeff knows his stuff so it will work
the Ranger should have had a straight six all along, Jeep beating, Dodge Dakota 318 V8 fighting, "we are so sick of the dual sprak plug 3.0L POS V6 ranger engine all these years" torque making straight six.......at least they finally put the SOHC in there..LOL no nylon tensioners in this engine hua!! no thanks!!

I got this engine for $40 off Craig's list. The guy I bought it from said that he bought a truck with it in it knowing the engine ran, but burnt a lot of oil. He drove it roughly 60miles home, and did an engine swap.

Do you have exhaust manifolds too, or just the intake?

No, sorry, sold the exhaust to a buddy so he could run true duals on a 86 F-150. Have both the upper and lower, as well as some serpentine bracketry.

how goes the rebuild?

Any updates???
I love those 300's.:notworthy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I've been meaning to ask too...:popcorn:

Back