Ford Explorer 2013 Sport Presale | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2013 Sport Presale

chubacca

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey Everyone,

I just got my first "full time" job out of college, have been working by behind off as an intern for the past few years, and have saved up enough to purchase a new vehicle. I really have my eyes set on a new Ford Explorer 2013 Sport Edition (the car looks amazing, looking forward to AWD since I live in the tundra, and absolutely love Microsoft's work on Sync), but was curious what you thoughts are on purchasing this right now.

I have read a few rumors on here that details of the 2014 model will be coming out around the March time. Is this true? Or have any of you heard any additional rumors on if there will be large changes? I am not too awful concerned about the body shape per say, but if the 2014 increases fuel millage, or comes out with some pretty amazing changes to the electronics in the vehicle, I wouldn't mind waiting a couple months for the changes.

What do you all think?

Thanks for any input you may have in advance! :)
-Chubacca

P.S. It looks like I have somehow gotten myself into the wrong forum when posting this. Would one of the moderators please move this to the correct forum for me? Thanks and sorry about that!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right now it seems like lots of speculation and zero facts...

Hi EdgieGuy,

Thank you for the reply. If you were in my shoes, would you pursue going with the 2013 modal, or would it possibly be worth my time to wait? I guess my main question is, when do car dealerships start selling the 2014 modals?

-Chubacca

Just to add some perspective...
Being fresh into a new job and feeling financially well-off does not mean you should rush into buying a new car. Take a look at the depreciation on the Explorer and you will see that the $45k+ Sport will probably be worth $30k in two years. Are you willing to give away ~$15,000 dollars just to own a new car, or could you wait a year for a Sport to come off lease and pick it up for $32,000?

Hi EdgieGuy,

Thank you for the reply. If you were in my shoes, would you pursue going with the 2013 modal, or would it possibly be worth my time to wait? I guess my main question is, when do car dealerships start selling the 2014 modals?

-Chubacca
Welcome to the Forum chubacca.:wavey:
I would suspect that the 2014 models likely won't go on sale until late summer or early fall. According to one posted link I looked at, the April 12th is the last date to order a 2013. Production on the 2014 is to begin June 3rd.

Check out post #25 on page 2 of the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363226

Peter

BTW, I really like you in those Star Wars movies.:D

Just to add some perspective...
Being fresh into a new job and feeling financially well-off does not mean you should rush into buying a new car. Take a look at the depreciation on the Explorer and you will see that the $45k+ Sport will probably be worth $30k in two years. Are you willing to give away ~$15,000 dollars just to own a new car, or could you wait a year for a Sport to come off lease and pick it up for $32,000?

That's a big assumption on your part that he may sell it in two years.....Yes, it will certainly depreciate quickly, as will any new vehicle, but if they have no intentions of selling it, they haven't lost $15,000 as you suggest....Perhaps he plans to keep it for 10 years and would like to have a three year warranty versus a used one that might have a warranty that is about to expire.....With your logic, everyone would be better off buying an off lease vehicle.

You are correct in my assumption being wrong- That was based on my current level of dissatisfaction with my Explorer and plans to replace it. Also, the economy may or may not be improving. The original poster may or may not have a job in two years... I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, having just sold my 2001 so I can fully appreciate the depreciation schedule.
Buying a used vehicle is still sound financial advice. My friend just turned 278,000 on his Tahoe he bought used.
The argument on the three year warranty makes another point about waiting to buy the Sport. The Explorer already has a full black circle from Consumer Reports for predicted reliability. I won't get into the validity or accuracy of C.R. these days, but full black is not likely to really be half-good. Waiting to see the reliability of the Explorer is, in my opinion, a wise move at this time. Especially when there are other options with much better reliability. If it turns out to be as bad as predicted, the three year warranty will expire about the time things really start to become expensive.

Also- the depreciation on the Explorer, especially the Limited, is notably higher than average.

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with your EX. My 2012 has performed virtually flawlessly including MFT (A pillar only issue to date with over 24K mileage). I would do it all over again without hesitation regardless of what Consumer reports decides to print.

I also understand what you are referring to regarding the financial picture, but the OP wasn't looking for financial planning advice......maybe he should buy your friend's Tahoe and save even more!!!!

Yeah, it's funny how I take those Consumer Reports reviews. I see a black circle and think "It's going to be bad." Twenty-five years ago that may have been the case. The quality of vehicles has improved SO much in the past 3 decades that even a bad new car is still much, much better than good car from the 90's and obviously orders of magnitude better than (almost?) any domestic car from the 80's.
I guess my current frustration with Ford not wanting to fix my vibration issue in my Explorer does influence my statements even though I try to keep it level.

If I were you, based on presently owning a 2013 Explorer, which has been nothing but a pain, I would not even consider any Explorers.....period....Poor quality control, many driveability issues, and terrible fuel consumption are just to name a few things I've experienced......Don't be in a rush to buy, do some research......best regards Plum

Yeah, it's funny how I take those Consumer Reports reviews. I see a black circle and think "It's going to be bad." Twenty-five years ago that may have been the case. The quality of vehicles has improved SO much in the past 3 decades that even a bad new car is still much, much better than good car from the 90's and obviously orders of magnitude better than (almost?) any domestic car from the 80's.
I guess my current frustration with Ford not wanting to fix my vibration issue in my Explorer does influence my statements even though I try to keep it level.

I hear ya.....good luck with whatever vehicle you purchase in the future!

Wait for the info on the 2014. No way I would drop a full $45k in cash for a vehicle that might be marketly obsolete in a few months.

That's the problem with new car- they're all marketly obsolete in a few years- like computers- compared to the new tech that will come out. There is always going to be something bigger, better, faster... If you're going to drop that much coin on anything, make sure it's the absolute best value it can be at that moment in time.

i bought my 2000 ex off lease and saved 10k over the sticker price .i have it 11 years and honestly it was just like new when i bought it .anything that went wrong during the lease period was fixed under warranty .
so whats not to gain by buying a off lease 2 year old vehicle?

Back