Ford explorer Not accelerating No power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer Not accelerating No power

vloveone

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer EB
Hello all, new here and I'm looking for some serious help. Let me explain what's going on.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V-6 with 150K miles on it. Last month just out of the blue the CEL came on and the car started idle rough. The codes I get when i toke the car to AutoZone was P1131,P1151 & P0300

Day 1 - I change the spark plug wires. Wire plug #2 have a slice in it (I just did a Tone up and replace the wires and spark plugs about 6 months ago) the wires still under warranty with autozone so no problem with that. The spark plugs looked good and the gaps was fine. I also ended up cleaning the MAF and the IAC. I also replace all four O2 sensors. At the end of the day still had rough idle and the CEL still on.

Day 2 - After looking around I did find a vacuum leak a small hole on the plastic part of the Engine Intake Manifold. I seal it and the rough idle now gone and my CEL is off (No Codes)

Now here is the problem I can't figure out -- no power/fast acceleration. If i push down on the gas pedal hard the car act like it dont want to go. If i gradually give it gas it go fine switch gears i can get it up to 70-80n with no problem but i have to push on the gas pedal gradually if i push all the way down on the pedal quickly the car rev up but dont really go. when i have the car in park and push down on the gas pedal the RPM goes up nto about 4000 - 4500 RPm and act like it what to cut off

I have change the Gas filter but dont know what else to try any one can help me ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rpm limit

I think the 3rd generation Explorers have an rpm limit in Park and Neutral. I thought it was 3,000 rpm but evidently not if yours goes to 4500 rpm.

I suggest that you measure the fuel pressure. Your symptoms resemble those for a weak fuel pump.

do you think if it was the fuel pump my CEL light would be on? right now it not. I did take in to firestone to have my state insection done today - except for a bad tire it pass every thing.

other then the fuel what else would cause low fuel pressure?

sorry i mean - other then the fuel pump what else would cause lowfuel pressure?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Be sure to check out the 3rd Gen Sub Forums:

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers
Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers
Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Happy Exploring! :biggthump

Back