Ford factory handsfree cell phone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford factory handsfree cell phone

04REDLARIAT

Reaction score
City, State
Elkhorn City, KY
Hey guys, new member here.

When I was 15 my parents ordered me a new 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 for Christmas. It was loaded with everything, including the hands free built in factory ford cell phone in the center console.
I traded the Explorer in 2000 for a new Grand Cherokee Limited. what a mistake that I have kicked myself daily for ever since then. The Explorer was the best vehicle I have ever owned. I put it through hell considering I was new to driving when I got it. I had it on logging roads, in snow up to the side mirrors and it just kept begging for more. That Explorer made me a Ford man, and I ditched the jeep and got back into a Ford truck. I currently have a King Ranch F250.

Anyway I am currently looking to buy a 1996-2000 Explorer Limited 5.0 awd to recondition back to new specs and keep. All that I have seen have not had the factory phone. Can I add the ford phone to an explorer that did not come with it? Does anyone know where I can purchase the ford phone from?

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasnt aware that they put phones in the exs?

My dad was a salesman for a dealership in Illinois then. He sold the "factory" phones but they were all dealer installs, at least there.

California law

Because we will be no longer be able to use a hand held device here in this state in 2008, you might want to shop around dealerships here. Google California Ford dealers, and they'll know - I'd start with major cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc... I don't know about the phone, but it sounds like it would be the kind that works through the stereo or something similar. If I find anything about it I'll edit this post... :salute:

By the way, I have an extra cell phone (they're a dime a dozen nowadays) that I leave in the vehicle, and I put on the bluetooth ear thing. It doesn't leave the vehicle, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. Just a suggestion.

I don't know of any way to use the factory stereo with any aftermarket cell phone, and ford stopped installing the integraded units years ago (although the kits might still be around somewhere).

There may still be adapter kits around out there. I'd start with http://pie.net/ and see if they can offer any advice. Their systems generally play nice with OEM stereos.

The last option I can think of would be to replace the head unit with an aftermarket bluetooth-compatible stereo and pick up a bluetooth capable cell phone. It'd be, by far, the most useful setup of the three as you'd still be able to take the cell phone with you in another vehicle.

-Joe

Thanks for the replys guys.

I don't want the phone for use, just for memories of the one I had I guess. I don't plan on driving the Explorer when I do find the right one, just to bring it back to prestine condition then put it up as a memory of the first vehicle I had. Yea I know that sounds stupid LOL.

Below is some pictures I scanned from my 1996 Explorer brochure.

This one shows the phones buttons on the A-pillar...
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=205536&anum=5599

This one shows the Ford phone...
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=205537&anum=5599

And here is a picture of me in 1996 when my Explorer was new. You can see the factory phone in the picture...
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=197261&anum=5599

Hey guys, new member here.

When I was 15 my parents ordered me a new 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 for Christmas. It was loaded with everything, including the hands free built in factory ford cell phone in the center console.
I traded the Explorer in 2000 for a new Grand Cherokee Limited. what a mistake that I have kicked myself daily for ever since then. The Explorer was the best vehicle I have ever owned. I put it through hell considering I was new to driving when I got it. I had it on logging roads, in snow up to the side mirrors and it just kept begging for more. That Explorer made me a Ford man, and I ditched the jeep and got back into a Ford truck. I currently have a King Ranch F250.

Anyway I am currently looking to buy a 1996-2000 Explorer Limited 5.0 awd to recondition back to new specs and keep. All that I have seen have not had the factory phone. Can I add the ford phone to an explorer that did not come with it? Does anyone know where I can purchase the ford phone from?

Thanks for any help.
I Don´y know if this is still relevant. I bought a 1995 Red Explorer eddie Bauer, the year the second gen came out and remember waiting three months just so I could get the original factory cell phone. it had a button on the A-pillar that when pressed asked you, Name Please? You´d say the name and it would dial it. Uhhh, voice recognition obviously but very innovative for 1995. You could have the phone stowed inside the armrest in its craddle or flip it out and close the armrest for easier access and dialing. Loved that feature. So yes, it did exist and it did come straight from the factory on E.Bauers and Limiteds as an option.

^ ^ Your first post is one in a 9 year old thread. Welcome.

I Don´y know if this is still relevant. I bought a 1995 Red Explorer eddie Bauer, the year the second gen came out and remember waiting three months just so I could get the original factory cell phone. it had a button on the A-pillar that when pressed asked you, Name Please? You´d say the name and it would dial it. Uhhh, voice recognition obviously but very innovative for 1995. You could have the phone stowed inside the armrest in its craddle or flip it out and close the armrest for easier access and dialing. Loved that feature. So yes, it did exist and it did come straight from the factory on E.Bauers and Limiteds as an option.

Was also an option on Lincolns and Thunderbirds. Unfortunately the AMPS service that they use is very long gone. They are paperweights now.

The wiring harness I have in my sport that I took out of another 98 limited is wired for a phone, even looked on ebay and found a few stock Phones for sale, I did not buy any but until I saw the wiring for it I never new they had that option either.
Robert

Back