Ford Loses 1.2 Billion As Restructuring Begins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Loses 1.2 Billion As Restructuring Begins

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
DEARBORN, Mich. - Ford Motor Co. said Friday it lost $1.2 billion in the first quarter, its worst performance in more than four years, as revenues fell and the nation's second-biggest automaker started a massive and costly North American restructuring effort.

Its shares fell more than 3 percent in early trading.

The loss of 64 cents per share for the January-March period compares to a profit of $1.2 billion, or 60 cents per share, a year earlier. Sales fell 9 percent to $41.1 billion from $45.1 billion a year ago.

Ford said its results included a pretax charge of $1.7 billion, or 61 cents per share, for costs associated with its Way Forward restructuring plan, which calls for cutting up to 30,000 jobs and closing 14 facilities by 2012. The charge includes the costs of layoffs and buyouts and pay for hourly workers whose plants have been idled.

Excluding one-time special items such as restructuring charges, Ford said it earned $458 million, or 24 cents per share.

It was Ford's worst quarterly performance since the fourth quarter of 2001, when the company posted a $5.07 billion loss due to $4.1 billion in costs for a previous restructuring plan. In the first quarter of 2002, Ford posted a $1.1 billion loss.

Ford's North American automotive unit, which has been struggling with declining sales and high fixed costs, reported a pretax loss of $2.9 billion in the first quarter, including one-time items. Ford said that was primarily due to lower sales, increased incentives, acceleration of charges related to plant closings and losses at former Visteon Corp. plants now under the control of a Ford-managed entity.

Worldwide, Ford's automotive operations lost $2.7 billion before taxes, compared with a profit of $473 million a year ago. That included $2.5 billion in one-time special items such as restructuring charges. Ford sold 1.7 million vehicles worldwide, up 3 percent from a year ago.

Ford's financial arm, Ford Motor Credit Co., earned $479 million for the quarter, down 33 percent from $710 million a year ago. The division said higher borrowing costs due to Ford's junk credit rating was partly to blame.

"While we are not satisfied with our performance, particularly a loss in North America automotive, we are encouraged by the success in our global operations and at the Ford Motor Credit Company," Chairman and Chief Executive Bill Ford said in a statement. "We have said we intend to restore automotive profitability in North America by no later than 2008 and we remain committed to deliver on our promise."

Ford shares dropped 29 cents, or 3.7 percent, to $7.66 in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange, approaching their 52-week low of $7.11.

The Dearborn-based automaker's results were in stark contrast to its bigger crosstown rival General Motors Corp., which reported record quarterly revenues and a smaller loss for the quarter on Thursday. GM lost $323 million for the quarter versus a loss of $1.3 billion the previous year. GM has begun its own North American restructuring after losing $10.6 billion last year.

Bill Ford said Ford is in the very early stages of a dramatic change.

"This transformation isn't going to be quick and it isn't going to be painless," he said. "It involves risks and the financial rewards won't be immediate. But in the end, I believe we'll get there."

The above story was authored by Dee-Ann Durbin AP Auto Writer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just noted from a news blurb, Ford will be cutting 20K jobs in North America, largely through attrition and early retirements, they claim.

If interested in a new 06 Explorer, the time to buy is NOW!

Unfortunately the same deals are not avialable for the 07 Sporty..

It makes me sad. Back in the 90's whenthe Explorer took the SUV market by storm, Ford was booming.

Bob

One of the things Ford is doing is stopping production of mini vans. Their mini van sales keep declining. Instead of just giving up, they should find out what people want, and make it. The competition is still making mini vans, and their sales have not declined. It will be hard to get replacement parts when they discontinue their production of them.

You can bet that the problem is not Ford management's fault, it's not the oil companies' fault; it's labor's fault.

Newt Gingrich said that if he was running the Democrats' campaign, this year's election slogan would be:
HAD ENOUGH?

Ford Minivan

I think the competion's minivans have more bells and whistles. Its also a question of marketing. On TV commercials I see the import minivans being aggressively marketed. Most families with small children that I know are driving Honda Odysey or Toyota Siena vans. When was the last time you saw a TV commercial for the Ford Windstar?

Ford has a clever idea, though. They will replace the minivan with the new Fairlane. Fairlane will have the utility of a minivan, but it looks like a truck/SUV, so it won't have the mommymobile image.

I'm waiting to see if the Fairlane will have a 4WD/AWD or hybrid version. I guess a transfer case would be too much to hope for, right?

Bob

I'll have to put on my asbestos tuxedo before I say this, but manufacturing in America is being strangled to death by unions, healthcare and pension obligations. Domestic companies can't stay competitive with the amount of overhead they are stuck with.

I'm sure many people here are union workers, and while I understand their purpose, that's how I see it.

kfkodiak said:
I'll have to put on my asbestos tuxedo before I say this, but manufacturing in America is being strangled to death by unions, healthcare and pension obligations. Domestic companies can't stay competitive with the amount of overhead they are stuck with.

I'm sure many people here are union workers, and while I understand their purpose, that's how I see it.

I have to agreed with you on this one, I make machines for the big three in auto glass and I make 21.00 hour i have skills like program robots, plcs, wire panels,i use cnc machines i can bascily do it all, and these people at ford that put cars togehter are not skilled labor and make more and hour then me!! its messed up, unions in michigan have gotten out of hand, that why michigan lost the new honda plant to indiana because of the unions the way i see it if you can`t do your job right then you should be fired and the unions protect to many lazy people sorry thats my opinoin :rolleyes:

I rest my case. Darn those accursed unions!

Ford only made $473M profit last year.

Back