Ford or Mercury? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford or Mercury?

MichiganMan

Reaction score
Hoping to get some insight and advice here. I'm planning to buy a 2006 or 2007 Explorer or Mountaineer in the next couple of months. There are a number of them coming off lease all the time, and the prices are rock bottom as the general public seems to have forgotten just how useful these things can be.

So, my general thinking is this:

• 4x4 or AWD
  • Premier or Eddie Bauer / Limited - I want leather
  • 4.6 V8

My big question is the 4x4 vs AWD. I scanned the transmission/transfer case forum, but it seems to be geared toward older vehicles. The truck will be my daily driver, with occasional duty towing a two place snowmobile trailer (figure 2K lbs, tops) and/or a small aluminum fishing boat. I'll also be doing some light offroad stuff, mostly dirt roads and two tracks to various hunting spots. No Rubicon stuff here.

Given that, will the Mercury AWD system hold up? What is the difference between the two systems? I tend to like the looks of the Mountaineer better, and it's easier to find with the V8, but am worried about its durability.

P.S. I will also be requiring the trailer tow package, as that wimpy little Class II hitch is an embarrassment that should never have been allowed onto the truck. A definite case of "what were they thinking?!?!?"

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also had the same question when I was looking for my next SUV. I opted for the Explorer because I wanted something with 4x4 low range. I don't do a lot of offroading but I miss having the 4 low on my Escape so had to have it in my next vehicle.

As for the towing, if all you are hauling is 2000lbs than a Class II will be more than enough. Save yourself some money in gas and get a smaller SUV unless you need the room. I needed more room for the family and that is why I moved to the Explorer.

For your options, keep your eyes open as I have seen Eddie Bauers with more options than many Limiteds. It all depends what you are looking for. My Eddie has leather, dual climate, heated seats, moon roof, power 3rd row, and even heated front window/mirrors, and power running boards. There are a lot of Limiteds out there that didn't even have a moon roof.

Mileage really isn't an issue - I just sold a 2005 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the V-10 gas motor. Considering it got 10 - 11 mpg, even 16-17 mpg will be a 60+% improvement :)

I'm actually looking at Expeditions as well, but not sure I want something that big after getting rid of my truck - driving it was like driving a house down the road.

Eddie Bauer V8, Better interior, and as a plus its a true FORD. The Exterior of the Mountaineer is ugly, i do not like the headlights or grill, eww, yucky.

I would say go for the Explorer over the Mounty for your purpose. They're pretty much the same, but the 4x4 having a low-range is extremely helpful (I've gotten myself out of some nasty situations in the snow with 4L.) Plus, milage is a little better with the X because it's only part-time 4WD, so you aren't always driving all 4 wheels.

Are you just looking for a vehicle with leather, or do you want the extra features that come on EB/Limited (DEATC, heated mirrors, etc)? If those aren't important, consider looking for an Explorer XLT that had a leather upgrade -- they are out there, and you might save some money.

I don't know about in your area, but around here, I see a hell of a lot more new Explorers with the tow package then Mounties, so that's something to consider.

Either way, you'll definately enjoy driving one of these vehicles -- like you said, they are extremely useful.

My wife had a 2002 Mountie, and it was extremely solid and trouble-free for the duration of her lease.

Reliabilty will be virtually identical as they are basically the same vehicle with cosmetic differences. If you like the looks of the Mercury better get it. It doesn't really sound like you will need 4L much, but you might end up needing it that one time in the snow so thats something to think about when choosing AWD or 4WD.

Back