• Register Today It's free!

Four wheel drive problem.

mcwne

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT. I have been having a problem with the 4x4. I used to hear the 4 high engage when it was working, but not when I hit the button for 4 high I don't hear that clank. I was under there about to tap the motor to try that fix but when the button was hit I could hear the motor turn. Also, when I put it in 4 high then put it in N I can push the 4 low button and hear the clunk like i should hear. That still doesn't activate the 4x4 though. It just proves the motor works and still has power. As for the hubs, I heard of a test where you jack up one of the front wheels off the ground and turn (Explorer is not in 4 wheel drive) the axle by hand to see if the wheel spins. I did both front wheels and neither of them spun. So IDK what that means. I've looked for another solution but cant find any. If you know what to do please help me :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I assume you have the stock auto hubs? If either axleshaft can spin without spinning the wheel, then something is wrong with that hub.

Yeah I have the stock auto hubs. Im still confused about the clunk not happening. It always used to make a clunk when it worked. Would bad hubs prevent the clunk from happening?

If the hubs don't work, there's no "resistance" in the front drivetrain and so the transfer could conceivably engage smoother.

Then whats with the 4low making a clunk? im just confused on this.

The clunk when shifting into 4L is from the gears meshing. There are no synchros in the transfer case, so it is common for that shift to "clunk" as those gears mesh.

Back