FPIU Sway Bar bushings replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FPIU Sway Bar bushings replacement

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I've since replaced the sway bar links, struts, shock absorbers, lower control arm bushings and ball joints in the front end. There is absolutely no play in any of the wheels or suspension parts at the wheels. My guess is the sway bar bushings are shot. There's still a popping/clunk noise going on when I go over bumps. Assuming the sway bar is bumping against the frame. There is a noise coming from the front end when I turn sharply to the left. A lot of the noise is gone from the parts I just replaced. Both front and rear bushings are shot probably, there's a clunk in both ends. I've read a shop guide for the front end and it wants me to drop the subframe. Is there a way I can get to those bushings without dropping that subframe? That's a huge job for some bushings.

I've since replaced the sway bar links, struts, shock absorbers, lower control arm bushings and ball joints in the front end. There is absolutely no play in any of the wheels or suspension parts at the wheels. My guess is the sway bar bushings are shot. There's still a popping/clunk noise going on when I go over bumps. Assuming the sway bar is bumping against the frame. There is a noise coming from the front end when I turn sharply to the left. A lot of the noise is gone from the parts I just replaced. Both front and rear bushings are shot probably, there's a clunk in both ends. I've read a shop guide for the front end and it wants me to drop the subframe. Is there a way I can get to those bushings without dropping that subframe? That's a huge job for some bushings.
There is a recall for rear endlinks for the interceptor. Go to your Ford dealership and have them scan your Vin. I was able to get the dealership to replace .y front end sway are bushings for an extra 255.00. The rear endlinks were free of course.

I replaced my sway bar end links a while back. After a couple months I started getting a clunk sound going over speed bumps, potholes, sharp turns at inlines, etc. Every time I put the car on jackstands I could not duplicate the noise. Everything appeared tight. Finally I put the car on ramps, had my son turn the wheel back and forth, while I shook, push, pulled, and jiggled everything I could. I finally saw there was very slight movement in one of the sway bard end links. I tightened the nut up a little more and the noise is gone. The endlink had no play in it with me pushing and pulling on it hard. But with the vehicle weight/forces it had just enough slop in the hole size to bolt diameter difference that a little more clamping force was needed to stop the movement.

I replaced my sway bar end links a while back. After a couple months I started getting a clunk sound going over speed bumps, potholes, sharp turns at inlines, etc. Every time I put the car on jackstands I could not duplicate the noise. Everything appeared tight. Finally I put the car on ramps, had my son turn the wheel back and forth, while I shook, push, pulled, and jiggled everything I could. I finally saw there was very slight movement in one of the sway bard end links. I tightened the nut up a little more and the noise is gone. The endlink had no play in it with me pushing and pulling on it hard. But with the vehicle weight/forces it had just enough slop in the hole size to bolt diameter difference that a little more clamping force was needed to stop the movement.
That is very strange. All the end links are torqued and everything to the proper specification. I do believe it's the sway bar bushings themselves. I have this same clunk when I go over speed bumps, potholes, front and rear.

Back