FRONT blower motor working intermittently. ( ignition switch?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FRONT blower motor working intermittently. ( ignition switch?)

ajrn

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Been driving my g/f's 99, while I do a protracted head replacement on my VW TDI. S'ok, it's over 200K miles.. At 40+mpg at 75+ down the highway... :)

Anyway-- her FRONT blower motor has been intermittent the last few weeks.

The one in the console for the rear, works as usual. I'm assuming the FRONT blower motor is "key on" and the other is driven another way??

In other words-- is my ignition switch to blame and needing replaced-- or is there another road I need to follow..

I've read this switch replacement thread.. Just want to verify THIS will fix my current issue.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336869&highlight=ignition+switch+replacement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been driving my g/f's 99, while I do a protracted head replacement on my VW TDI. S'ok, it's over 200K miles.. At 40+mpg at 75+ down the highway... :)

Anyway-- her FRONT blower motor has been intermittent the last few weeks.

The one in the console for the rear, works as usual. I'm assuming the FRONT blower motor is "key on" and the other is driven another way??

In other words-- is my ignition switch to blame and needing replaced-- or is there another road I need to follow..

I've read this switch replacement thread.. Just want to verify THIS will fix my current issue.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336869&highlight=ignition+switch+replacement

Your issue doesn't sound ignition switch related to me. Both front and rear blowers basically work the same way - neither runs with the ignition off, both can run with the ignition on plus have a separate switch to control fan speed. I do believe that the front blower may be "always on" at a very low speed.

Describe more what you mean by "intermittent" operation. First, is your HVAC system manual or automatic? Does the blower work on some trips but not others? Or does it cut in and out while driving on the same trip?

In general, I would suspect either the fan switch itself or the blower resistor as the source of this problem.

AC Blower in front working intermittently

I am having the same or at least similar problem. First, I have a 98 Ford Explorer, 4WD, Engine Type E. I recently put freon in my system and the AC has been blowing cold for a few weeks. We had to take a road trip across country (From Washington State to South Carolina) and all was well until yesterday. The Front Blower stopped blowing. It would not work in any of the fan speed settings (and yes its a manual ac control). The rear blower works and blows cold air. Eventually during the long drive that day, the front blower started working again. Then after turning the vehicle off for gas, it once again stopped working. I did some research and figured it might be the Blower motor resistor.

I replaced that, and before mounting it I tested to see if it fixed my problem but it did not. So I mounted it back on anyways, thinking maybe, just maybe it needed to be mounted to work properly.(Keep in mind that when I took the old one off, it was horribly rusted, so I am guessing the connector is also rusted but I had no way to clean those connections.) Anyways, after hooking everything back up, I cranked the truck up and tested the ac blower and voila it worked.

Now don't get all excited, because my victory was short lived. I turned the vehicle on and off a couple times, the blower kept working and I felt victorious. Then it stopped working again. My next thought was maybe it is the blower motor itself or the fan speed switch. I took the blower motor off, and I tested it to see if it worked. How I tested it was, I took two wires and clipped one to my vehicles battery ground side and the other to the positive side. I then took those wires and held them against each terminal on the motor and the motor immediately started spinning. To me, that said the motor is good. I re-installed the motor and then I went out to Auto Zone and for $10 bought a new fan speed switch.

I replaced that switch, and before mounting everything back, i checked to see if my problem was fixed. Indeed it had fixed the issue and the blower motor was once again working, at least at first. I re-installed everything and then I turned the vehicle on then off a few times messing with the switch each time. All was well and I boasted to my wife what a genius I was. She reluctantly acknowledged and then told me I had some other honey-dos to tend to.

Later, to my surprise, when I hopped back in my truck and cranked her up, the blower motor yet again failed to work. I am at a loss here unless there is some kind of short or loose wire somewhere. Perhaps that Resistor Wiring Harness needs to be replaced? Any relevant help or advice is greatly appreciated!! Its extremely hot this summer and I still have a long ways to travel with 3 kids and I need to get this fixed ASAP! Thanks!

Get a meter and find out what you are chasing (ie. lost voltage, lost ground, poor motor insides) ... then start chasing based on your tests with the meter.

well Ive already done that. There is voltage getting to the blower motor. When I change the position on the dial for the the fan speed switch, it changes which pins have voltage on the blower motor resistor plug, so that is working correctly. All associated grounds seem to be there as well.

It's a real head scratcher! Any advice?

"All associated grounds seem to be there as well."?????... measure to be sure (hint: its not a voltage check / measurement). Further measure the resistance of your motor.

Further wiggle wiring while your measuring and watch for changes.

Wiggled the wires, no change. Checked the grounds, all good. Clanked my screwdriver against the blower motor housing out of frustration and the motor started working lol. SoI guess I am gonna take the motor back out and try some motor oil to see if that helps. Im thinking that maybe it is getting seized up from rust and makes it difficult to turn. I'll post here with results. In the meantime, what are your thoughts?

By the way, I forgot to saybefore, thanks for the quick replies and great advice!

I had the same problem with the blower motor in my '96 Explorer. I did everything that you said that you have done. On one particular frustrating 100 degree day, I "tapped" on the blower motor housing and it began spinning. Until I could get it replaced, I kept a rubber mallet in the vehicle so that I could "persuade" the motor to turn.

In my case, the brushes had just worn out after 13yrs and it was just time to replace it.

After removing the motor, and cleaning it out with an air compressor and putting on a bit of oil......I then reinstalled everything and the motor was working fine. Then after driving around town a bit, it stopped working again. At this point I am thinking the motor does need to be replaced. I plan on buying one soon, but will have to have it shipped here. I will post here with the results.

In the meantime, any relevant advice is welcome! Thanks!

I too have the exact same problem. Blower motor turning on randomly, and when it works you can set any speed and it behaves just fine. Then, all of a sudden silence. I replaced the control module/Resistor and that wasn't the problem either.
I did the same thing you did, connected the blower motor directly to the battery and it worked fine. I really would like to know if replacing the blower motor actually fixed your head scratching problem, because I'm running out of ideas.

Did you guys find a solution? I'm having the same issue with my 2000 Eddie Bauer..

same issue happening with my 98 XLT. Wife is getting up set

In addition to all the things @bobflood mentioned in this ancient thread...

You need to have solid, clean electrical connections to rule them out. Also, electric motors tend to work intermittently when they're worn out. This is true for blower motors, electric fan motors, fuel pumps, starter motors. Any electric motor really. This is because the motor's brushes wear down and no longer make a solid electrical contact. Don't rule out a bad blower motor just because it worked when you tried connecting it to your battery.

Next time the blower wont work you can try giving the motor a whack with a hammer. If it then starts running it's worn out and needs to be replaced.

Tip: In the future I suggest you start a new thread instead of adding on to one that's 7 years old.

didn't realize it was that old of a thread, so sorry as All I did was do a search

Back