• Register Today It's free!

Front Bumper and Skid Plate

Bruce-L

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
The bumper is a TJM t-13 Steel winch bumper from a 93-96 ranger. The skid plate is from a 98 ranger 4wd. Minor mod's to the frame mounts and skid plate were required for mounting.

Attachments

• 111_1156a.jpg
    111_1156a.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,221
  • 111_1161a.jpg
    111_1161a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,852

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks very good. Got any plans on 33s or so? That would really make that beefy bumper look good.

damnn, looks very nice. how much modifiying was required? could it be done with simple tools??

Looks great :thumbsup: I second the notion on tires. Maybee a mild lift? But bumper looks good. Edit: How about a snorkel? :D

bumper and skid plate

For the bumper I had to trim off the outside mounting tabs for the stock bumper and weld a short piece of 2x2 tubing under the frame to accomodate the height of the new mounting brackets.

For the skid plate I had to trim it to fit around the 2x2 tubing pieces and I cut in plenty of ventilation. I wiped out a couple good drill bits making four mounting holes in the fame for it. I'm not in rocks so I'm not worried about having to slide on it. It's mainly to keep sticks and stuff from boucing up into the engine compartment.

Bruce-L said:
For the bumper I had to trim off the outside mounting tabs for the stock bumper and weld a short piece of 2x2 tubing under the frame to accomodate the height of the new mounting brackets.

For the skid plate I had to trim it to fit around the 2x2 tubing pieces and I cut in plenty of ventilation. I wiped out a couple good drill bits making four mounting holes in the fame for it. I'm not in rocks so I'm not worried about having to slide on it. It's mainly to keep sticks and stuff from boucing up into the engine compartment.

Hey Bruce, anyway to take a picture or two of the finished mounting setup you did??

I tried like crazy to find one of those. They said they don't make them anymore for the Ranger. The guy in NY with the green SAS Ex has one too.

Looks Great!

bumper and skid plate

Dmasini,
It may take a week or so before i can get the camera out and post a picture. I'm tied up with a bunch of family and work stuff for a while.
Bruce-L

so are you going to post the pics of how its mounted? this would cost me a lot less money then a custom bumper....

Hi Josh/Big Red,

I tried your email but it bounced back. I don't know what the 1st gen front bumper mounts look like. On my 2nd gen they're sort of like a big U with two wide flanges at the open end. I cut them off and bolted/welded the TJM mounting brackets to the sides of my frame.

This bumper is made to bolt up to the 93 - 96 Ranger. If your front bumper mounts to the sides of the frame this may be a direct bolt on for you. I also had to trim about one inch off the length of the side pieces so that they didn't interfere with the front tires.

The bumper was on TJM's discount page as a blemished item. I went over it for two weeks and never found a defect. Because it was a blem' the price was reduced by $200. Nice deal for me since the freight to California was about $200.

I don't have a winch yet but the bumper is very sturdy when pulled on and takes a heck of an impact without any damage. If you're going to add a winch you'll need to pick up the winch plate which runs about $110. The bumper is pretty heavy so to be ready to add about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of preload to the front springs to keep the nose up.
Hope this helps,
Bruce

Were there any mods needed to mount the bumper itself???

What's it weigh? looks like it weighs a ton. It does look awesome, though!

Back