front bumper painted | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front bumper painted

I started a new thread because I thought the other one was getting a little too long w/ 97 posts in it... I just got my ex back from the shop today ($1199.57 later). I had to put on the front bumper so that they could test drive the thing. it still needs a couple more coats of clear and I found some scrapes on it that I'm going to have to go over again.. but here it is. I still havn't painted the trim... waiting on more paint to arrive.

Pics are w/ camera phone so they arnt the best quality.

10058Picture0051.jpg

10058Picture003.jpg

10058Picture002.jpg

Here is a comparison photo from a bone stock (not mine) ltd explorer

1005879_4.jpg

and here is mine a couple weeks ago.
10058no_pin_stripe-med.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hydroxy, that looks REALLY good! I really love your X!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow looks good! You painted this yourself right?

I'm wanting to paint my bumpers and trim, what kind of paint and all are ya using? Are you using a paint gun? Is there much prep work? Sorry for all the questions

yes I painted myself. Prep work was annoying because I had never done it before.. but it is actually pretty simple.

Sand w/ 220 till it is as smooth as you can make it and there is no shine left. Wipe down (i just used filtered water and a rag)
plastic primer (if it is on the tupperware).
sand w/ 400 (220 at places if you need it)
sand w/ 600. (wipe down again)
Paint 2-3 coats of paint... light coats (make sure it doesn't run).
then 3-4 coats of clearcoat. I dont know how to perfectly put this on yet so it is nice and smooth. Right now my front bumper is a little bit textured. I'll post about how to get it perfect when the rest of my paint arrives.

www.automotivetouchup.com

it sells paint in a spray can. I dont have a compressor or paint gun, so I was forced to go this route. Seems to work fine so far.

I have a big problem!!!!! I can't get the gap on the bumper to be anywhere near what it is on the stock explorer that I have pictured there. It seems it just wasn't made to go up that high (it physically can't go up anymore).

i tryed to get rid of my bumper gap today..mine will not move at all..but my gap's not bad so i don't care..

Thanks for the reply! :)

Where did you get your plastic primer? You think the dealership would sell the paint in the cans? Or is that site the place to go? I dont have any chrome to paint over just painted and clear coated trim.

home depot had the primer, says 'plastic primer' w/ a plastic chair on the can. It came in white, which is a plus. If you dont have a paint gun, I think you have to go w/ the website. I would avoid the dealer... they jack up prices so much it is insane. To paint your plastic trim, it shouldn't be that difficult. Remember to get the clearcoat as well.

alright, cool :cool: thanks for all the info...I'm going to tackle this myself see how it turns out. Bet its gonna take few cans to do my trim, step bars and bumper.
Can't wait to start it :) Thanks again

Originally posted by hydroxy
home depot had the primer, says 'plastic primer' w/ a plastic chair on the can. It came in white, which is a plus.
This?
attachment.php

Btw- can't you drill bigger holes to make your bumper go up some more?

Yes to primer, the stuff on the left was exactly what I used.

about the bumper, the holes are slotted on the bumper, I actually hadn't thought about trying to extend then, but it *might* work. I'll have to go give it a try today or tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Btw- can't you drill bigger holes to make your bumper go up some more?

that's what i did with mine after the 1" body lift. i just drilled the mounting tabs for the bumper on the frame about .5 to .75 inches higher (or as high as the tabs will allow), and then remounted my bumper.

thought I would show everyone my rear bumper... it doesn't show in the picture but it is really dirty from the sleet/roads.... I'm borrowing a nice digi cam tomorrow and I'll post some pics.

Attachments

• picture018.jpg
    picture018.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 212

s

Attachments

• picture004x.jpg
    picture004x.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 217

old way it was...

10058100_0724__large_.jpg

10058100_0723__large_.jpg

somehow I lost the plastic piece that covers the tow hitch... if anyone has one they could send me, I'd be much appreciative.... :D

I also might need a pair of license plate bulb holders... my old ones are kinda broken. I had new ones, but they are whever the other plastic piece is that I lost... =(

i kinda liked the silver..make sure you NEVER try to stand on it now tho..you will really screw it up if you do

i want some of those chrome licn plate light's!!!(mine are that ugly black)

paint them =P

Back