• Register Today It's free!

Front propshaft

and11

Reaction score
City, State
wolverhampton UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer ltd
Hello quick question should my front prop shaft turn freely in neutral out of park but not turn if its in 4wd h or 4wd low i know the auto AWD is on demand but i want to check if it does disengage cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Year?

It’s automatic 4wd, not all wheel drive. It will never turn free of the wheels because the axle is live. You’d know if it didn’t disengage. Turning tight on pavement would bind, and clunk, and be generally unhappy.

Year?

It’s automatic 4wd, not all wheel drive. It will never turn free of the wheels because the axle is live. You’d know if it didn’t disengage. Turning tight on pavement would bind, and clunk, and be generally unhappy.
Thanks for replying 1999 year
I understand , so the front prop is not free but a switch inside the transfer box engages to lock it up but i thought it only engaged the front wheels when the switch on the dash was in auto if the rear wheels started to slip. As i am led to believe 2wd till rears slip so no load on front prop when stationary in neutral but not when the switch is set in 4wh or 4wl so is there a way of checking if it is stuck in 4wd without driving it Thanks again

There’s no load, but it still won’t spin free in any setting.

The front drive rotating parts are many, and heavy. You might be able to lift one front tire with a jack, and turn it with difficulty by hand. I've never thought to try that, but the transfer case won't stop that with the engine off. If the TC is locked in 4WD for any reason, then the front driveshaft will not turn unless the clutch is bad. It should only engage in the 4WD switch positions, and in A4WD if there is speed difference between front and back tires.

I liked mine of my 99 Explorer, except when launching with a rear tire on dirt or grass, leaves, or gravel. Then it always spun that one tire briefly until the A4WD engaged the front wheels. I moved some dirt dozens of times a day delivering mail with that truck. My AWD V8 models virtually never hurt the ground taking off briskly, but with rain and slick grass, anything will spin a little.

The front drive rotating parts are many, and heavy. You might be able to lift one front tire with a jack, and turn it with difficulty by hand. I've never thought to try that, but the transfer case won't stop that with the engine off. If the TC is locked in 4WD for any reason, then the front driveshaft will not turn unless the clutch is bad. It should only engage in the 4WD switch positions, and in A4WD if there is speed difference between front and back tires.

I liked mine of my 99 Explorer, except when launching with a rear tire on dirt or grass, leaves, or gravel. Then it always spun that one tire briefly until the A4WD engaged the front wheels. I moved some dirt dozens of times a day delivering mail with that truck. My AWD V8 models virtually never hurt the ground taking off briskly, but with rain and slick grass, anything will spin a little.
HI thanks i jacked the front wheel up with box in neutral wheel turned easy and the prop turned with it put the switch 4wdh and wheel was very difficult to turn in fact could not budge it .I will try it over the farm this weekend thanks again

Off of the road on grass etc, it should be possible to easily see if it will spin one tire, or two, or more depending on how much pedal you give it. Remember that the front has an open diff, if it will drive and spin the front, it should be very obvious and easy to do on grass. Don't hit the gas too hard and dig a hole that forces you to have it pulled out.

The rear might have an LS diff, which can turn both tires together, but with age even the LS is not very effective(one tire will spin well before the other will).

Off of the road on grass etc, it should be possible to easily see if it will spin one tire, or two, or more depending on how much pedal you give it. Remember that the front has an open diff, if it will drive and spin the front, it should be very obvious and easy to do on grass. Don't hit the gas too hard and dig a hole that forces you to have it pulled out.

The rear might have an LS diff, which can turn both tires together, but with age even the LS is not very effective(one tire will spin well before the other will).
Hi mine does have LS it works as far, as i turn one wheel the other turns the same way but how good it is under a slip condition we will see i will try not to run the MRS over when i test it all out cheers

Hi mine does have LS it works as far, as i turn one wheel the other turns the same way but how good it is under a slip condition we will see i will try not to run the MRS over when i test it all out cheers
Well got farm very steep water logged long grass pulled away I could feel the back axle trying to grip then I felt a slight bump and away we went top of the hill when i got to a hard surface it felt a bit grindey but got to the road stopped at junction and felt another bump and drove as usual next time I put in 4wdh and drove brilliant so seems all good does it sound ok to you cheers

That's probably fine and just as it should be, on a steep hill of grass it wouldn't go well at all with just 2WD.

Back