Front suspension knock

cfd911

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 xlt 4wd
Ok everyone I have a 2017 explorer xlt 59,000 miles on it. Started having a knocking in the front suspension over small bumps occasionally . Looking through some threads on the site i started inspecting the suspension . Everything looked pretty good and tight . The lovely Chicago streets I’m sure has taken it’s toll on the suspension . I had already replaced the front sway bar bushings , so i decided to replace the front lower control arms . I went with moog . The originals seems alittle soft after removal and inspection but no tears. To my surprise i found out the larger bushing has some hydraulic oil in it. I then replaced the front sway bar links even though they were tight i replaced them with motorcraft. The exp drove about 80% better , but even my wife who noticed the very small clunk over small bumps . Sooooo i bit the bullet and thought i’ll replace the rt front strut bearing . Well after taking it off it was very wonky, loose and after afew turns in my hand it fell apart . I’m not a parts changer , I worked at a Chevy dealer as an apprentice tech before moving on to CFD as a paramedic . My question is what is your experience and opinion on using parts? Moog , Motorcraft , mevotec . I’ve pretty much used OEM but though i’d try moog . Your thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used Motorcraft / Ford first, also Ford Performance Parts (Ford Racing), then MOOG for suspension parts. This has been on 5 Fords, 2006 earliest model year. Ford 500, Ford Freestyle, Ford Mustang, Ford Taurus SHO, Ford Explorer

I've never had any issues with Moog. I prefer them over the factory parts.

I have used Motorcraft / Ford first, also Ford Performance Parts (Ford Racing), then MOOG for suspension parts. This has been on 5 Fords, 2006 earliest model year. Ford 500, Ford Freestyle, Ford Mustang, Ford Taurus SHO, Ford Explorer
Thank you 👍🏼

I have used Moog when I have to but they made quite cheaply compared to OEM. I honestly don't think they will perform as long as OEM but time will tell. I still use them when I have to and they will probably be ok, I just prefer to use what the OEM's have tested the vehicle with.

I've never had any issues with Moog. I prefer them over the factory parts.
I have no experience with Moog parts but have read several posts in this forum from members who were not happy with them and did not recommend them.

Peter

Back