Front tranny seal leaking....what next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front tranny seal leaking....what next?

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
After some wheeling my tranny started leaking from the front seal pretty good. The leak was clean red flud. The fluid got low enough to let the torque convertor slip, but I didn't drive it that much before I filled it back up and got it to the shop. The car has 207K miles on it and its the original transmission, so I knew it was coming. My mechanic seems to think that front seals going are usually caused by something and that changing the seal might not be worth while (labor costs and such) because it might come right back. I'm of the mind that the tranny was shifting great, doing fine, and I may just have pushed it a little too hard and blew the front seal (with 207K miles). I'm just wondering how many have changed the front seal with this kind of mileage on a transmission and what would you recommend in this case. My parents and I don't want to just throw $1500 at a reman tranny if a new seal will last another year or more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My tranny had a blown seal at 150,000 kilometers.It still shifted fine etc.... I took it to get the seal replaced, and it was replaced with nothing else rebuilt.

I had worried I would need a rebuild, but the mechanic just did a servicing and the seal and it still runs great.

I would suggest keeping that tranny as you know the history of it, and it still seems fine in your opinion.A rebuilt one might be a total P.O.S. , as you know it had to have a fault for it to be rebuilt in the first place.

You might want the Torque converter replaced while it is apart, but since you described red fluid, and not crappy fluid coming out, it is probably still OK:)

Back