Front Wheel Bearings - How Much Runout? What's the Noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Bearings - How Much Runout? What's the Noise?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT, 4.0L SOHC, 2WD, 128,000 Miles

I'm hearing a wah-wah-wah-wah-wah sound coming from the front tire/s. The sound is 100% correlated with vehicle seed... speed up and the sound gets faster... slow down and the sound gets slower.

I've been told that the front wheel bearings are the cause of this sound.

I have the truck up on the rack and I've spun each front tire to visually look for lateral (left to right / right to left) runout. I see a little bit of runout on one tire, but it's not very much. It's maybe 1/16 - 1/8 inch.

How much runout does it take to start creating the sound?

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not so sure your wheel bearings are the source of your noise. Wheel bearings tend to growl when worn.

As far as "run out" (run out is not the correct term)... Once you've driven for a while (long enough to bring the wheel bearings up to normal operating temp) with the tire off the ground there should be no perceptible "play" in the front wheel bearings. When cold you might be able to feel a tiny bit of play, but it should be very minimal.

If you have "run out", you may have bent wheels.

What makes you think the noise is coming from your front wheels? It could be your tires or it could be the noise is coming from your rear differential.

Please don't create multiple posts on the same subject. Refer to your first post on this subject for my thoughts.

A friend's Explorer had horrific wah-wah-wah-wah sound coming from his tires... to the point at which it was easily noticeable by anyone outside the vehicle (standing 30-40 yards away as he drove past). He had all-season "passenger" tires on his truck; no aggressive tread pattern. I too have all-season "passenger" tires on my truck (Michelin LTX M/S2); not an aggressive tread pattern. His mechanic replaced his front wheel bearings, and the sound went away.

I can hear, pretty clearly, that the sound is coming from the front wheel/s. I haven't tested it yet (I need someone else to drive while I ride), but I think it's coming from only one tire...the driver's side tire.

If lateral movement of a tire isn't called runout, what should I call it?

There is no play in the hubs.

Your thoughts?

Well, tires. Not quite sure how to say this in english. But have your tires/ arms calibrated. make sure they are all facing foward propperly. Are you getting any movement in the steering wheel? Is it pulling to one side? What about when turning, is it making more of a noise depending on what way you turn?

No movement in the steering wheel. It doesn't pull. No noises when turning. Alignment measurements are within normal ranges.

Then it sounds like maybe it's a break lying on it? Could be a bad tire.

The way tires are manufactured they're not perfectly symmetrical (I guess is the word). That's the reason that you need to have wheels/tires balanced periodically. Wheels can have too much run out if they're bent. Brake rotors can have run out if they're warped. The term for bad/loose wheel bearings is play.

2WD front wheel bearings are inexpensive. If you think yours are worn, replace them (don't just do one side). Also try rotating your tires front to rear. I have the same tires on my 2001 EB and have never had any noises from them. Are your front tires wearing normally/evenly? No cupping on the inside/outside edges?

I think the term @Twenty is looking for is "wheel alignment".

That's the term, thanks!

Back