• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement

Dwaite7133

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0 OHV
:banghead: What is the best and easiest way to depressurize the fuel system to change the fuel filter on a 2000 Explorer Sport?
Also, what is the name of the tool that you need to remove the old filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the truck over for 15-40 seconds and then bleed the system from the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Good luck ....

The tool is a Ford fuel line disconnect tool.

Dwaite7133;1978663Also said:
, what is the name of the tool that you need to remove the old filter?

Here is the one I use.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 429
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 456
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 404

FWIW, there is PROBABLY a good reason to de-pressurize your fuel system. Personally I've only done it once and found it to be a waste of time and gas spilled. I've done probably 8-10 fuel filters between f-150's, explorers, and expeditions, and have never had a problem with their being too much fuel pressure built up. Just let it sit for a while and get to work! Never dribbled more than a few drops.

Most auto parts carry the tool, it is specifically called the ford fuel line removal tool last I checked.

When I replaced mine it was on a huge lift, only thing that pissed me off was the fuel lost from gravity, didn't shoot out or anything just dripped out, keep a clean container handy so you can catch anything. It's gold now a days.

Back