• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

Brownpsu78

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I am changing my fuel filter and I'd seen a few suggestions in the threads I have questions about.

I see people pull the relay and run the SUV until it stalls? Is this to clear the lines of fuel?

Also I'd seen people run a cleaning additive the last tank before try changed the filter? I don't recall which additive it was, does anyone know?

Also what is the name of the special tool to ask for at the store?

Also I remember reading something about use/don't use a cartridge type filter?
What is the best filter to use? What filter should I avoid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would suggest you use a Motorcraft or Wix filter. as to the type, you have no choice. it's a metal filter with special ends.

pulling the fuel pump relay releases the fuel pressure from the line.

i don't know about putting anything in the tank first. don't really see the point of it. there's a sock filter in the tank and adding something to clean/release any crud in the tank may just clog the sock. (IMO, let sleeping crud lie).

the only tool that has worked well for me was a set of different size line disconnect tools i bought at Autozone for about $20 (OEM Brand PN 25150) they are made of metal and are anodized different colors. you need the 5/16 size for your the fuel filter fittings. other people have had good luck with the scissors type metal tool. (BTW for the fuel tank fitting, should you need to release the pump assembly, you need the 3/8 size).

there is a technique to getting the old filter to release;

1. release and remove the saftey clips from each end of the filter
2. clean to fittings out with air and/or brake cleaner
3. spray WD40 (or something similar) into the fittings
4. leave the filter in its bracket
5. insert the tool into the fitting
6. press the tool into the fitting (use a pair of pliers for leverage) while forcing the line onto the filter at the same time and then pull the line away. this will take you a few trys, but don't give up, you can do it with some patience.
7. when installing the new filter, press the lines on until you hear them click.

Thank you

My 99 Explorer fuel filter was frozen in the connections. Years of being in the NE rusts the underneath of your truck. Be prepared. Have a small handheld metal hacksaw. Once the fuel lines are empty and pressure is gone(remove the fuse), cut the filter at the part closest to the main body of the filter. You can then grab the remaining ends with a pair of vise grips and spin them while pressing the fuel line release tool. It came out in a matter of minutes as opposed to laying there cursing for 2 hours which is what I did the first time. Don't worry, you will NOT blow up cutting the filter with a hand held hacksaw. The metal is extremely thin in the filter and you're cutting slow. :salute:

RE: Rust in the NE. Yes rust can be an issue in Connecticut (I'm originally from CT). That's another reason for buying a quality filter. They seem to rust less that the cheap ones. If you can get the filter to spin with the lines still connected and get the lines to move inward just a little you may not have to do any cutting. That's where the cleaning and WD40 helps, but do what you gotta do. I change my fuel filters every year or so, that should keep you ahead of the rust build up. I find I can get a filter disconnected in about 30 secs, but I have lots of practice. The first one I did took over an hour with lots of cursing. The right tool and a little technique makes all the difference.

Went to the dealership, they have me a motorcraft Fg-986B
Is This correct?

Koda you recommend the line disconnect toolset, are there any ther specialty tools I need or does that cover it?

I don't know about the fuel filter part number, but they're all pretty much the same on Fords of that era, so it's probably the correct one. As for as the tools required, as I originally stated, the only other tool I use is a pair of needle nose pliers to help push the disco tool into the filter/line clip. Take a flat-blade screw driver under there with you to pop the filter out of its bracket (and a rag to catch the small amount of fuel that will spill). Have fun!

Thank you for clarifying that. I really appreciate it.

having some difficulty using the scissor type to get the fitting to come off
doesnt look like any real rust.

thoughts?

i have the scissor tool,
is there a better line disconnect tool?

alright im at hour 3 and no movement

okay im going to go get the plastic clips instead of this scissor tool

Follow what koda2000 said using pliers to compress the tool into the fitting.
The flange is too short on most tools to release the spring clips in the fuel line.
Key to success is finesse, not force. Wear eye protection, it will still spray. GL

i dont have need nose pliers
ive been trying to use a phillips head to do just that

ANY lever you can use to pry that fits between the tool and fuel filter.

Yah.
I think in not gettin the scissor tool to fit right
It keeps slipping half off. Very frustratig

5/16 correct?

the plastic tools don't work. i've already told you what works and how to use it. if you don't want to follow advice, don't ask for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey man I'm not trying to argue. I'm just frustrated and I need to get this done.
Sorry I'm just 3 hours into a 15 min job.

Back