fuel filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter

Reaction score
City, State
New Port Richey, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0
ok i have a 98 5.0 xlt and want to change the fuel filter. i have the haynes manual and i bought the ford tool and the filter. however, i have read EVERY thread about changing this from depressurizing to those darn clips. Even after the hour or two ive spent reading these threads im still leaning towards paying someone to put it on:rolleyes:i want to do it myself but i still cant figure out where exactly its located on my app., how exactly i depressurize the lines on my app., and i dont think i really understand how to use the tool. ANY help would be appreciated.

ok i have a 98 5.0 xlt and want to change the fuel filter. i have the haynes manual and i bought the ford tool and the filter. however, i have read EVERY thread about changing this from depressurizing to those darn clips. Even after the hour or two ive spent reading these threads im still leaning towards paying someone to put it on:rolleyes:i want to do it myself but i still cant figure out where exactly its located on my app., how exactly i depressurize the lines on my app., and i dont think i really understand how to use the tool. ANY help would be appreciated.

Filter is located under your truck on the inside of the frame rail drivers side front. Big silver canister.

I let the truck sit overnight to bleed some of the pressure off and then under the hood look for a schrader valve on your fuel rail. It looks like the valve stem on your tire. Use a screwdriver to let pressure out of this like you would let air out of a tire. DO IT SLOWLY a little at a time and cover it with an old rag as your doing it. It will spray out all over if you don't.

As far as using the tool, if you've read the threads, you've seen the instructions. Just follow the instructions and take your time. Don't get frustrated...it is a bear to remove.

95% of that job is patience. Make sure the pressure is out like the other poster said. Open and close your gascap and let out any pressure. The tool is very simple, but the clips jam from never being used and make it difficult to get out. Wear gloves, preferably nitrile to minimize your contact with gasoline.

I did my filter from the opposite side that the filter is on, It helped to jackstand the truck up a bit in the front. If you have to have your face under the filter to do it you are better off bringing it in than getting a face full of gas. Only a few drops came out though. I loosened the front fitting first(yeah you have to play with the tool a while). I plugged the line with a clean pen. Then I pulled the filter out of the clamp, making the second fitting a bit easier. I put a bit of oil on the new filter fittings as suggested by the manual.

If you buy this filter, I doubt it could be more than $15-$20 to have it put in if you check a few shops. Probably a bit less if they are doing an oil change.

Back