Fuel Filter won't budge, tool won't fit. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter won't budge, tool won't fit.

scatpack

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
Ive tried for 3 days to remove the fuel filter from my 93 Explorer and the only success Ive had is that now I have a nice fuel leak.

The scissor tool doesn't fit. I can't get it to fit between the filter can and the cable end. On either end of the can. And no amount of wiggle, prying and praying is going to get it off further. Ive gotten the fuel line as far away from the filter as it will go.. and It won't go anymore.

Any more "McGyver" approches and I think im going to snap the stem off the fuel filter itself.

Heres some snap shots of what I got. Aslo.. how can I relieve the fuel pressure?

filter.jpg

clamp.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can relieve the fuel pressure under the hood by looking at the passenger side of your intake manifold. smack dab in the middle of it there is a schrader valve (the same kind as is on your tires) with a cap on it. take the cap off, and push in the little valve. the pressure will be relieved.

i got my spreader tool at autozone, and it looks nothing like that. it is a little ring that goes over the fuel line, and slides down into the fitting, somehow releasing it. dont know how it works, but it came in a kit of like 5 of them. it cost around 5 bucks, and works great. it would definitely fit into that little space in there. good luck.

To relieve the fuel pressure you can also do this:
start your truck and in the power distribution box is the fuel relay fuse which you pull and your truck will stall as the fuel pressure decreases. Just put the relay back in when you are done and turn the key to on, not start, and let the system build up pressure (you will hear the fuel pump whine, meaning the fuel line is pressurizing).

i had the same problem. I think one of the most important hints i found -- after i snapped the stems off -- was to keep the bracket holding the filter to the frame on to immobilize the filter while using the tool.

I also bought the tool you show. I think the slip-on rings would work better. Also, make sure you have the right size 'tool'. As i recall, they come come in two sizes. Somewhere else on the boards they mention the correct size...3/8 is the correct one i think.

That does not look anything like the small plastic ring I used to release the filter. Run down to your local store and ask for a different type of fule filter relase. It came with a few differnt sizes and was about 3 bucks. Wasnt that hard with those release tools.

that looks exactly like the tool i used. i just unbolted the bracket from the frame and slid it out of the way so i had room to work. try pulling on the hose away from the filter - who cares if you break it off - you are replacing it anyways. for me it was a PITA with the bracket installed, but once out of the way, it was a piece of cake because i then had enough clearence to work. on that tool, i beleive the larger of the 2 sides is the one u want to use.

I had almost the same problem. I just used my snips and cut the nipples off the filter and then got them out.

Nitrous SSC said:
I had almost the same problem. I just used my snips and cut the nipples off the filter and then got them out.
doesn't that hurt?? I once used possibly the ultimate MacGyver solution and carefully hacksawed the filter off of my Lincoln.

I was gona use my dremel and I realized that wasn't the smartest of idea's :)

haha. reminds me of the guy at koller dodge in naperville. guy came in with a gas tank that was recalled. so, before he dropped the tank, the genius mechanic thought it would be faster to drain the gas tank if he drilled a hole in it. :nono: needless to say, he destroyed the car, the repair shop, and a decent number of their stock. how he is still alive is a mystery to me....

Go back and get the plastic disconnect ring tools. Throw the metal one in the garbage because they are almost impossible to work with.

i actually had really good luck with the metal ones....after i unbolted the bracket and slid it out of the way, anyways.

ANY metal-on-metal is a bad idea! Sparks will go boom!

i picked up a nice set of cheap line disconnect tools at Napa, they worked like charm :D

i had this problem once before. Solved it with a pair of needlenose pliers. yank those stupid clips out with the pliers and buy new clips, they're like 3$ at autozone.

Well I just replaced my fuel filter. That was a pain even with the instructions on this thread. It took me about an hour. First I would recommend jacking up the front of the truck and putting it on jackstands so that you have some extra elbow room. I bought the plastic kit from Autozone and it worked but wasn't easy. At first I made the mistake of trying the larger plastic insert. It was the smallest plastic insert in the package for mine. After inserting it fully I still couldn't just pull the line off. I had to get some pliers and pull to get them off.

I pulled the rear off first. Even after running the truck with the fuelpump relay out and releasing any pressure in the fuel rail from the schrader valve I still had a stiff stream of fuel spraying out of the hose when I pulled it. Make sure to have eye protection and old clothes and an oil pan to catch the spray of fuel. When you first release it throw the pan under it and wait a while for it to drain. It took a lot longer than I expected.

After I released both lines I just pulled hard and the old filter popped right out. Pop the new one in the same way and slide the fuel lines back on. You don't need any tools to put the lines on. Then put the clips back on.

One nice thing is that after you get it apart completely it only takes about 2 minutes to put it all back together.

I had 110K on my filter so I guess it was due. When I blew through the filter I noticed quite a bit of resistence compared to the new filter so mayber it was clogged up.

mikeh

mikeh said:
... I had 110K on my filter so I guess it was due. When I blew through the filter I noticed quite a bit of resistence compared to the new filter so mayber it was clogged up.
mikeh

I'm sure it was due for a change but the air test isn't accurate since the pleats in the old filter are wet compared to the dry ones in the new filter. As an example I had cleaned the air filter in my wet dry vaccum and turned it on (while the filter was still wet) to try and speed dry the filter. The suction was terrible (worse than before I cleaned it) and the motor had the high pitch sound it makes when it is straining. I ended up letting the filter dry on its own it it worked great again.

Total R&R time approx. 30 minutes. Took longer to read the thread than it did to replace the filter lol.
1. Jack stand the front of vehicle (block rear tires)
2.Allow vehicle to cool down. Release gas cap pressure (not sure any was there to begin with), release schrader valve at manifold (no pressure there either perhaps due to cold vehicle).
3. Remove clips at front and back of filter.
4. Leaving old filter in cradle place 3/8 plastic tool over filter stem.
5. Using needle nose pliers behind the 3/8 tool apply positive pressure between the filter body and the back of the tool firmly seating the tool in the fuel line.
6. While maintaining pressure on the tool push the fuel line slightly in towards the filter and pull back sharply to disengage line from seat.
7. Place pan or bucket under filter to catch draining fuel. Repeat process on remaining stem.
8. Confirm correct install direction and firmly push fuel line on to new filter stem until you hear "click". Repeat on other stem/line.
10. Seat filter in cradle
11. Replace clips at front and back of new filter
12. Start engine and check for leaks.

I let my vehicle sit for about 3 hours before working on it so it was cold. I didn't notice ANY pressure whatsoever from schrader valve, gas tank, or fuel filter (at removal). The vehicle was jacked up but fairly level when I worked on it and the amount of gas that came out was only from the filter itself. Little but a few drops came out of the fuel lines themselves. I poured what gas was left in the filter into a clean container and noticed it was dirty looking and had a fair amount of sediment . I guess after 116,000 miles it WAS time to replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back