Fuel Mileage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Mileage?

We have been getting about 20 so far and it is about 70/30 city/hwy driving. We are very impressed so far. we had a 07 Nitro R/T that got about 17-18.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Draper/Scottfmc/Shoe here,
Do all of your vehicles have awd and trailer tow package? These numbers seem quite impressive unless your home towns are completely flat areas.

I have 4WD, but no tow package. Nashville has rolling hills, but nothing large. Not really flat. 18.9 MPG today on my 17 mile commute thatis 50/50 highway and local roads.

My XLT is 4WD and Iowa is nearly as flat as Kansas and I purposely drove light-footed, pissed a lot of people off I'm sure :) hence my not-so-enthused attitude at 17 mpg on the first tank. I did not turn on 4WD at anytime during this.

Scottfmc,
take a look at my "oil change" post and see the picture of my undercarriage. Since you don't have the tow package, I assume you do not have the air tube shown in my picture.....or do you? Can you take a peek under your Ex?

Draper/Scottfmc/Shoe here,
Do all of your vehicles have awd and trailer tow package? These numbers seem quite impressive unless your home towns are completely flat areas.

AWD and Tow package here. And I am in an area that is FAR from flat. We're in the tail end of the Appalachian mountains.

Last tank was down around 16-17 mpg..but that was with warming the vehicle up in the driveway in the mornings for about 10 minutes to de-ice and short stop and go trips.

Scottfmc,
take a look at my "oil change" post and see the picture of my undercarriage. Since you don't have the tow package, I assume you do not have the air tube shown in my picture.....or do you? Can you take a peek under your Ex?

Glad I cleaned the garage out this weekend ;)

I did not find evidence of that plastic tube on my Ex.

first tank ave. 19.5 very little city driving & between 50-65 mph, 4wd XLT no tow pkg.

scottfmc, there is no air tube unless you have the tow pkg.

XLT with 4WD and Tow. We only have 567 miles on ours and we drove to my parents last weekend. About 28 miles one way. We averaged 21.2 mpg for the trip. There are some nasty hills on that drive as well. I am hoping as this baby breaks in, it will at least average and stay at around the 22. I have a feeling though the average will go down slight though as we may drive her a little more aggressively. Either way, much better improvement from our 07 Nitro.

I used to get 19 to 22 on the highway. Ever since they started selling this crappy blended gas in the area I am lucky if I get 18 on the highway and 16 around town. When I run startron (I think thats what its called) I can get 20 again but I don't always have it available.

Frankly, I am getting sick of burning through fuel filters with this water they call gas. We can all thank ethanol for our troubles (at least around here). It's to the point that I almost need to change a fuel filter every oil change. When I dump out the filter I get this brown sludge, and we get to pay $3 per gallon. Some days when I got to get gas I feel the need to bend over and stick the pump somewhere else.

I find it silly that the gov is mandating better gas mileages and yet they also force us to use this crappy gas...

anyway I will step off the soap box...

Things you can do to improve gas mileage
1) clean air filter
2) clean MAFS
3) use injector cleaners/additives to combat crappy ethanol
4) check your fuel pressure to make sure it is within spec
5) cat back systems can help but don't expect miracle
6) this one has the most impact, watch your right foot. Keeping your rpms below or around 2k when pulling out, drive the speed limit etc...

I used to get 19 to 22 on the highway. Ever since they started selling this crappy blended gas in the area I am lucky if I get 18 on the highway and 16 around town. . When I dump out the filter I get this brown sludge, and we get to pay $3 per gallon. ...
Paying the equivalent of $5.40 (CDN) a gallon (Imperial) this morning.:mad:

Yep. With a full tank at 18.6, stopped by exactly at the gas station with only the reserves left. 229/18.6 = 12.3 something. Mines is a 4WD though.
Wow that's what I get in my lifted Grand Cherokee, with 33"s and a HEMI lol

I think your calculation is off though, unless you started on a dry tank, put in exactly 18.6 gallons, then ran it completely dry again... What I do is fill up without topping it off then reset my trip meter. For the next fill-up I return to the same station (since the shut-off point can vary from station to station) and again fill it up without topping off. Read your trip meter, and how much fuel you just pumped, and you'll have accurate numbers.

Just did another run through the mountains and got 22 mpg round trip. I just cracked 1000 miles on mine and the mileage seems to be improving as it breaks in. I've been averaging 18-19 around town lately in hilly terrain and trips less than 10 miles.

I used to average 10 - 13 MPG before a little break in. There's also ethanol in my fuel so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I managed to go up to 16 MPG while I was going 50 on the HWY yesterday and down to 15.8 in the city. The city here has a bunch of potholes and lots of hills.

Our fuel is 10% Ethanol too. Until last fall, I could still get gas with no ethanol, and when they changed over, we noticed an immediate 10-15% decrease in mileage (but with no price decrease..imagine that :fire: ) .

You may have a more oxygenated fuel down where you live because of being near a metropolitan area. That also cuts down on fuel mileage.

I get my gas from Shell gasoline. They advertise it by saying it is nitrogen enriched. I'm so sad... I'll never see the fuel economy rise above 17. With gas prices ricing to 4 bucks a gallon. Something needs to be done.

ive tacked on just over 2k miles in the first month ive had it, about 70/30 split between highway and city. I average 19mpg,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I received my 3.7L Edge Sport I began getting mid 19's right from the dealer. We got winter blend gasoline right after thanksgiving and my mileage immediately dropped to 17's. My inlaws bought me a K&N filter for Christmas and after putting that in my mileage increased to the mid 18's. I'M planning on buying a K&N for the Explorer when it comes in, maybe this is something others might consider too?

Back