Fuel Pressure 101 - Mini-Diary Fuel Pressure Regulator Test Fuel Pump Test | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pressure 101 - Mini-Diary Fuel Pressure Regulator Test Fuel Pump Test

fuel pressure bleed off

Just got through pulling pump-regulator out of the tank on our 99 SOHC. Thought the FPR was bad, so I checked with Ford. It runs about $60. After studying the regulator is has nothing to do with holding pressure. I assume the pump takes care of that.
But after seeing this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66163&highlight=fuel+pressure
I did a little testing and found the factory clamps to be loose and the rubber hoses between the pump-regulator-outlet tube were deteriorated.

I'll replace the hoses in the morning and let you know the out come.

BTW, the issue I had was the vehicle was hard to start. Hot or cold. Unless you turned the key off-on a few times to cycle the pump. Fuel pressure when tested was 10 PSI after cycling twice KOEO. When I fired her up she sat at about 56 PSI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pressure bleed off

Fixed the problem! Fuel injection rubber fuel line and some good clamps.
Pressure comes up to 55 PSI KOEO. Sits at 60 PSI running.
Over the past few hours pressure has settled to 55 PSI.

Might my problem might be FRP related?

I've been getting engine hesitation which is usually followed by the Check engine light. It happens randomly anytime during operation (just idling at a red light or on the freeway) and the light isn't constant, it will go off somtimes after a few seconds or several long minutes.
At first it felt like the truck was misfiring and I did a tune up changing the plugs, wires and the Oxygen sensor, but after paying for all that I still had the same engine difficulties. It shouldn't be timing either as the head gasket was replaced a few thousand miles ago. My Explorer is a manual 5-speed, which got a rebuilt tranny in 2005, so we've ruled out transmission problems also.
This Explorer, of mine, has 122k miles (just rolled over yesterday) Since the FRP also concerns emiisions I was assuming it would trigger the "Check" light. Since the light only activates after I feel the engine falter could it be something else? If it is a bad FRP is it seriously bad to continue driving until I can get it repaired.
I really appreciate any help here

05 Explorer Fuel Pressure Sensor Location

I have a 05 Explorer 4.0 V6 Flex Fuel with P0172 and P0175 codes showing. I replaced the MAF sensor and gave it a tune up with no change. I'm looking at the FPR next. I called Ford to get a price on this and they told me I have Fuel Pressure Senor and not a FPR. Can anyone tell me where this might be located.

Thanks

Cleaning injectors through schrader valve

Is it possible to clean the fuel injectors through the schrader valve? I think this is how some of the tune up shops do this and charge $100. What tools and supplies would be needed for this?

I know this is an oldie, but am searching in vain for answers. So, does anyone know what value is sent back the ECU when the fuel pressure is in range on a 2003 Explorer (V8, if that matters)? ie is it a resistance reading, or volts etc? And what values? Thanks in Advance.

Fuel problem

Alright.My truck will not crank. I just replaced the fuel pump and so it should be getting the right pressure. When u hook up the pressure gauge can it be done without running the vehicle for a week or two.

Ok so I am getting 24psi out the shrader valve with the engine on. Just dropped the tank to replace the pump but forgot to check the FPR. Is there a way to test it without puting the tank back in?

I know you can get the individual parts at Actron, such as fittings, for different vehicles. I needed a ford adapter and couldnt find one until I went to Actron. ( I lost the one that came with the fuel pressure test kit)

2005 ranger edge with a 4.0 won't run

New to site, not that familer with fords . I have 05 RANGER WITH A 4.0 that stars then stops fuel pressure is over 60 psi during the short time that it runs, pcm has no codes fuel quanity seems ok any ideas? thanks!!

Has anyone ran an aftermarket FPR that is adjustiable ? found some on ebay and thought that it would help with WOT seems when get to certain throttle position that all she's got.

Thought with all the upgrades that needed more fuel ? any thoughts or answers on this thanks.

Wow thanks fellows and very old very helpful thread again thanks

Still very old and still great info

Thanks fellows:salute:

I have a 05 Explorer 4.0 V6 Flex Fuel with P0172 and P0175 codes showing. I replaced the MAF sensor and gave it a tune up with no change. I'm looking at the FPR next. I called Ford to get a price on this and they told me I have Fuel Pressure Senor and not a FPR. Can anyone tell me where this might be located.

Thanks

I know this is an OLD thread but this FPR is on the DRIVERS side mid-engine, it has a vacuum line on the rear next to the fuel rail.

Here is a pic:
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...or+2005+2007&gclid=CMLo_P2i_7cCFRSVMgodIQ0Adw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ranger died

90 Ranger 2.9 engine, thing just died on me, after letting it sit for a few hours fired back up then died again. Changed relay, nothing changed fuel pump and discovered there was no power to it also there is no power to inertia switch . hard wired it started and drove it then parked and now nothing again. Sounds like it wants to start though. Is there two different hot wires that runs the fuel pump. and my relay has always got power to it. NEED HELP HERE

Back