• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pressure, injector checks

cgb1776

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer, 4.6l, that has been running rough for a while (sometimes really starts bucking when under load (climbing a hill, etc)).
There are no OBD-II codes (yet).
Recently I purchased a fuel pressure gauge for another vehicle so I figure I'd check the pressure on this beast for the heck of it.
So.. When I hook up the gauge and turn key to ON (not run) the pressure builds a little bit. If I do this several times (fairly quickly) it increases to about 60/65psi. That said, the pressure tends to bleed off fairly quickly. Fast enough that you can watch the needle on the gauge moving down (drops to 10psi within 10-15 seconds I guess). If I start the engine the psi goes to approx 65psi but fluctuates between 62-67 psi (does not hold steady at all). So my first question is; what is the correct psi range for '02 4.6L and should it fluctuate at all?

The second part of this is.. Is there any way to check the injectors to see if one is defective (either leaking, dirty, etc..). I have seen DIY kits that pulse the injectors for some period of time then you compare pressure readings between them all to see if any differ. Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!

Back