Fuel Spit-back - TSB 22-2176 Superceded by TSB 22-2433 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Spit-back - TSB 22-2176 Superceded by TSB 22-2433

Another step down as tank nears full. You can hear the sound difference.
Years ago I had a Chrysler Aspen. Don't normally buy Chrysler products but loved the performance of the 5.7 Hemi, so I got an extended warranty. At about 40K miles the problem described here started happening. Took it to the dealer and got the run around...can't do anything about it, not covered under the warranty, etc. Contacted the local radio station auto show guy and he told me to contact the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), since this is an obvious safety issue. The NTSB gave a positive response and it wasn't long before I had a letter from Chrysler to bring it in and it was covered. It was some kind of valve in the filler neck of the tank, but it's a pain to replace and the dealer didn't want to have to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Folks -- unsure if anyone actively dealing with the issue of fuel "spit back" during your visit to pump?
With my 2020 Explorer ST, I can't fully fill the gas tank or fuel will flow out of filler tube.
I spoke with local dealer service dept and they had no idea.
I spoke with local trusted service shop and was sent TSB 22-2176 which (a) exactly describes my behavior, and (b) matches make/model year of explorer.
However, when I called back local dealer service department about topic and referred to TSB 22-2176, they instead told me that super super-ceded by TSB 22-2433 (and quoted cost of $2400 to fix).
Issues and topics:
  1. when does TSB become warranty recall?
  2. why can't I locate TSB 22-2433 ?
  3. If I refer to TSB 22-2176 (which is public), there are multiple filler pipe part numbers referenced for various make/models. the Explorer filler tube is Ford part 'L1MZ-9034-W'.
  4. when I call Ford parts dept and ask "is L1MZ-9034-W' the latest version of filler pipe for my Explorer ST?", I'm told that is NOT the correct part number and it is instead 'L1MZ-9034-AJ'.
  5. I can't locate anything about "L1MZ-9034-AJ" on Internet. I was quoted $151 to dealer.
Why isn't any __current__ information publicly available to describe what FORD using to resolve my issue(s)?
Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
-GA
I've been driving Fords for 50 years, and they are notorious for the pump shut off problem. The overflow nozzle is designed to to shut off B4 filling the tank to allow for expansion. I know, I know. When you start your car, and start driving, it takes care of that problem. It's just stupid engineering. You didn't mention what state you're in, but in Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gas. So when the pump shuts off, that's it, full, or not. If you can pump your own gas, try this. When the pump shuts off, rock your car a few times. That seems to break up any bubbles in the gas, and allow more to go in. Also, move the nozzle out a bit, and don't pump at full blast after doing this. You'll be able to get a couple of gallons more. Other than that, you're stuck with the problem.. Good luck!! Bob

I've been driving Fords for 50 years, and they are notorious for the pump shut off problem. The overflow nozzle is designed to to shut off B4 filling the tank to allow for expansion. I know, I know. When you start your car, and start driving, it takes care of that problem. It's just stupid engineering. You didn't mention what state you're in, but in Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gas. So when the pump shuts off, that's it, full, or not. If you can pump your own gas, try this. When the pump shuts off, rock your car a few times. That seems to break up any bubbles in the gas, and allow more to go in. Also, move the nozzle out a bit, and don't pump at full blast after doing this. You'll be able to get a couple of gallons more. Other than that, you're stuck with the problem.. Good luck!! Bob

This issue is not what you are describing and not normal. Mine has done this since new. It's strictly a design issue with the filler neck tube. Pulling the nozzle out 1/2" and filling or turning it 45* solves the problem and it acts normal.

This never happened on my Ford's... 1993, 1998, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2018.. only my 2020.

Mine is going in tomorrow for a few issues and I will be having them address this now that there is a fix for it.

The problem I had (and I think the problem Rickshaw described) is not that it shuts off too soon. It doesn't shut off at all and gasoline spurts out on the ground, your pants, and your shoes. Blwnsmoke seems to have a great temporary solution.

Hello Folks -- unsure if anyone actively dealing with the issue of fuel "spit back" during your visit to pump?
With my 2020 Explorer ST, I can't fully fill the gas tank or fuel will flow out of filler tube.
I spoke with local dealer service dept and they had no idea.
I spoke with local trusted service shop and was sent TSB 22-2176 which (a) exactly describes my behavior, and (b) matches make/model year of explorer.
However, when I called back local dealer service department about topic and referred to TSB 22-2176, they instead told me that super super-ceded by TSB 22-2433 (and quoted cost of $2400 to fix).
Issues and topics:
  1. when does TSB become warranty recall?
  2. why can't I locate TSB 22-2433 ?
  3. If I refer to TSB 22-2176 (which is public), there are multiple filler pipe part numbers referenced for various make/models. the Explorer filler tube is Ford part 'L1MZ-9034-W'.
  4. when I call Ford parts dept and ask "is L1MZ-9034-W' the latest version of filler pipe for my Explorer ST?", I'm told that is NOT the correct part number and it is instead 'L1MZ-9034-AJ'.
  5. I can't locate anything about "L1MZ-9034-AJ" on Internet. I was quoted $151 to dealer.
Why isn't any __current__ information publicly available to describe what FORD using to resolve my issue(s)?
Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
-GA
I just had a new filler neck put on my 2021 Explorer XLT yesterday. I could not pump gas in it at any gas station without the nozzle immediately shutting off. The service advisor referenced TSB 22-2433. Fixed under warranty no charge yesterday.

Back