Full Synthetic Oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Synthetic Oil

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Boys I'm about to change my engine oil pretty soon and was wondering what the best full Syntethic oil I can use on my 2003 explorer 4.6 v8
I've been putting pennzoil platnium for a bit and it seems alright but just wondering anything better I should put

Vehicle has 200,000km on it already just want it running good that's all.

Thanks boys !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Mobil 1 every oil change and have no complaints. Never heard anythng bad about Mobil 1 in my life. Royal Purple is supposed to be good too but is a lot more expensive. Also make sure you use a quality oil filter, I try to use a Motorcraft filter every time but I always stay away from Fram now.

Thanks buddy
I use the Fram tough guard filters with no issues
I'm going to try Mobil 1 and see if there's any difference

Thanks

Hey Boys I'm about to change my engine oil pretty soon and was wondering what the best full Syntethic oil I can use on my 2003 explorer 4.6 v8
I've been putting pennzoil platnium for a bit and it seems alright but just wondering anything better I should put

Thanks boys !

Schaeffer Oil! I have seen in fleets the difference in oil samples and fuel economy. They are the only oil company to pass EPA Smartway test for fuel economy all others have failed to do so in fuel savings for synthetic over a baseline tests.

I'm In Canada not sure if they sell it but ill check !

Castrol Syntec 0W30 European Formula. (a.k.a. "German Castrol" -label says made in Germany)

Supposedly made from a more shear stable PAO base stock than Mobil 1, and readily available from Autozone sometimes on special with an oil filter. The 4.6l V8 really seems to like it, seems a little smoother, quieter.

Thanks buddy
I use the Fram tough guard filters with no issues
I'm going to try Mobil 1 and see if there's any difference

Thanks

I switched to using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil and have noticed the engine runs smoother and quieter than conventional oil and have had no problems what so ever using it. I use it in conjunction with a high quality, long life oil filter, Bosch Distance Plus #D3410.

Hey buddy I'm going to buy some Mobil 1 oil pretty soon
Going to see if they sell those filters for my explorer

Hey buddy I'm going to buy some Mobil 1 oil pretty soon
Going to see if they sell those filters for my explorer

Do you have a "Walmart" store up there by you in Canada? If so, you can buy both the Mobil 1 oil and Bosch filters there.

I use Mobil 1 every oil change and have no complaints. Never heard anythng bad about Mobil 1 in my life. Royal Purple is supposed to be good too but is a lot more expensive. Also make sure you use a quality oil filter, I try to use a Motorcraft filter every time but I always stay away from Fram now.

Mobil 1 synthetic and Motorcraft filter from wally world.

Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Penzoil plat etc etc etc

Just get whatever fully synthetic is cheapest and most convinient for you. Most fully synthetics are similar and you wont notice any SIGNIFICANT difference between brand x and brand y. I have a personal preference for Amsoil and Motorcraft filters. As long as its fully synthetic, you'll be good.

Hey Boys!
Thanks for all the advise I really appreciate it...Man I love this site feels like were all a family helping one another..

@Black Dynomite I agree with you ive been putting Pennzoil Platnium oil but I want to give a try a Mobil1 oil and see how she runs...Ive heard Mobil1 is the best so lets see!

@Exproblems - I have Walmart in Canada im going to check for those FILTERS your talking about I appreciate it buddy!

@Exproblems - I have Walmart in Canada im going to check for those FILTERS your talking about I appreciate it buddy!

That's good. Buy the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1, it's cheaper that way. In my area, it sells for $26-$28 at Walmart depending on regular Mobil 1 or Extended Performance and the Bosch Distance Plus filter is around $12.

Just get whatever fully synthetic is cheapest and most convinient for you. Most fully synthetics are similar and you wont notice any SIGNIFICANT difference between brand x and brand y. I have a personal preference for Amsoil and Motorcraft filters. As long as its fully synthetic, you'll be good.

I tend to agree with this, especially if you change it every 5k. Fwiw, I'll chime in with my reasons for picking the Castrol Euro Syntec 0w30 (besides being comparable in price to the big jugs of Mobil 1 at Wally World if you wait for an oil change sale special).

As far as I can tell the 4.6l modular v8 is no doubt a pretty stout motor, it's main vulnerability being this failure:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204267

I think the factory recommendation of 5w20 is for CAFE fleet mileage concerns rather than the best protection of those nylon chain guide runners! Additionally, I figure an oil with a high HTHS spec (high temperature high shear) would give the best protection for the timing chain and guides as well as other critical areas. The Syntec 0w30 has the highest HTHS for this viscosity grade, which is only one grade thicker than the factory recommendation (and will flow very well in the freeze). I personally would rather trade an MPG for the better wear protection. It is also known to maintain its viscosity over high mileage intervals (do to its high percentage of PAO/ester base stock), where Mobil 1 tends to thin (shear) with use.

Typical case in point:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-...sis-results-8000-miles-with-castrol-0w30.html

and you will find many many reports like this where UOA (used oil analysis) shows the exceptional wear protection of this particular oil.

I disagree about cheapest synthetic oil theory that they are all the same. Schaeffer's is the only oil company to register with EPA Smartway for proven Fuel Economy by running against similar specs of oils that didn't add up to advertised and on top of that they have a documented million mile 5.4 Ford can that has a million mile original engine while doing 10,000 mile oil change while Mobil and everyone else was saying 3,000 miles for an oil change. Schaeffer's has been doing 10,000 mile oil changes for 20 or more years the rest are just starting to market this. Must be a marketing plan to sell you more gas and oil. The majors don't use Moly in there oil like Schaeffer does because they know they will sell you less fuel. The STLE puts out info on products like Moly Technology and how it can help with fuel economy but almost ALL the majors do NOT use it. It's expensive and they will sell less fuel!

Thanks boys for the recommendations

I prefer Valvoline full synthetic with the best oil filter I can find. Regardless of what you decide to use send a sample of your first change to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. Here's a link. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Thy will tell you what's going on in there and make some recommendations for change interval etc.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Might as well revive this thread rather than make a new post and link to this one, since there's probably not a whole lot to discuss about motor oil choices...

Anyway, I am looking for input now that these vehicles are getting on in years:

1. Synthetic vs Conventional ? Is there a consensus? Do I need to stick with conventional if that's what I've been using, or should I switch to synthetic?
  2. Lot of people here are suggesting 0w30 instead of 5w20, can anyone explain this?
  3. Preferred brand/ type of motor oil for an engine with 100+k? I hear a lot about Mobile 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic
Motor oil options/ variations are really something I have no idea about, so I tend to stick with manufacturer recommendations, but I am loosely aware that geography and driving style play an a role in alternate oil choices.

For whatever it's worth, I am located in New England, and mostly drive around town, mostly not too aggressive. I make occasional road trips on the highway up to the north country, but only a few times a year.

You can switch from conv to syn and back to conv with no problem. Don't buy the hype of stick with what you have been using.

It also greatly depends on driving style. Lots of highway ? Go buy Mobile 1 15,000 mile synthetic. Highway means low engine hours and high miles. Little oil wear.

City driving? City driving means high engine hours and low miles. Stick with 7,000 mile oil changes for syn.

Me? Well Im in college in the northern parts of NY. I do LOTS of short trips. I had synthetic. But the short trips with warm up time with synthetic proved to be bad for my engine. Why ? pull the dip stick and milk shake. Water in the oil. Because engine oil takes a lot longer to heat up than the coolant it takes a long time to boil the water out. Where I go to school days can easily have over 60* of temperature swings. (Yes -30* over night to mid +30s by the afternoon). This allows huge amounts of water to condense in the crankcase. So I switched to semi blend and changing @ 5k miles instead of full syn @ 10k miles. Water in oil is BAD.

You can't just make a general statement. It is about driving habits, location, temperatures, etc, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks boys !

Just use the factory recommended blend.

5-20-5qt.jpg

and of course a Motorcraft filter.

F1AZ6731BD-FRO__ra_p.jpg

The only filter other than Motorcraft I would consider using is WIX.

51372__ra_p.jpg

51372XP__ra_p.jpg

Back