• Register Today It's free!

Fuse 10 in Aux fuse box blowing

Andy Wood

Reaction score
City, State
Cwmllynfell, Swansea
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK Spec
Went to my 1998 UK spec Explorer, used keyfob to open doors and went to reconnect my handsfree unit which is wired to the back of the radio, no problem there.

Went to start car, engine cranked but would not start. Fuse 3 in main (under hood) box blown, replaced it, no problem, car started.

Driving along and noticed indicators not working, checked fuses and fuse 10 on inside fuse box blown.

Every time I replace fuse 10 it works until I drive off , and after a short while it goes again!

Does anybody have any ideas or a full wiring diagram so can fault find this?

Thanks

Andy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it do it without your handsfree plugged in?
Kev.

Handsfree is wired to the back of the radio and the radio and h/f still work, maybe a coincidence - ha!

Check your owner's manual to see what it powers... If it's the same as the US models, it feeds power to the speed control amplifier. (AKA the Cruise Control Servo under the hood)

If the owner's manual confirms that the fuse feeds that circuit, disconnect the connector on the servo and replace the fuse. If it doesn't blow, you've found the problem. :)

Start there and let us know what you find. :)

As mentioned, I think this is related to the "infamous ford fire" problem... :) if so yiour likely problem is your brake pressure switch on the brake cylinder.

Thanks for the replies!

I found some circuits and it looks like it feeds the timebomb on the brake cylinder.

Have unplugged it and will let you know as I was out of the UK for a long while and did not get the recall notice.

Thanks again for all help, much appreciated!

As mentioned, I think this is related to the "infamous ford fire" problem... :) if so yiour likely problem is your brake pressure switch on the brake cylinder.

Not if his is wired the same as a US version. If it was wired the same, and it was a brake pressure switch issue, it would be blowing fuse #13, not fuse 10. Fuse 10 feeds the servo directly.

And I mis-spoke earlier (didn't check the schematics thoroughly enough). Fuse #10 on a US-spec 98 Ex feeds several items... including the turn/hazard flasher, compass/outside air temp module, automatic ride control module, blend door actuator, heater-AC control assembly, shift lock actuator, GEM, steering rate sensor, rear integrated control panel, message center, lamp out warning module, and rear blower motor relay... If yours is like ours, it's not gonna be an easy thing to troubleshoot like I thought it would...

Just been out - it's been snowing, and guess what, the fuse went again and of course no 4WD!

Anybody got know where I should start with the fault finding?

Thanks

Andy.

The info I have on fuse 10 is that it does :-

Speed control
GEM
Brake interlock
Roof console
Self levelling suspension - which is switched off.

That stinks... well, we can rule out the speed control servo...

The only way I could suggest to go about troubleshooting is to look at the list and see if any of them sounds like the most likely culprit.

From the list I posted (again assuming it's the same as a 98), I would pull the rear blower motor relay to eliminate that, unplug the lamp out module, message center, and rear integrated control panel, and the compass/outside air temp module and see if it continues to blow. Those would probably be the easiest to isolate.

Unfortunately the rest of the list is gonna be a LOT tougher to troubleshoot...

IMHO, the most likely candidate would be the turn/hazard flasher as it gets used as much as, if not more than, any of them. The GEM is pretty unlikely to fail, as there isn't much there, but if you lost power to one of the feeds, that could be why the 4wd isn't working. (The GEM has several power feeds, and it's not clear what that particular one affects)

Wish I could be more help... Unfortunately guessing is about the best I could do for ya'...

-Joe

Thanks Joe, you confirmed my worst suspicions!

Any idea where the connectors are that I should pull, as I have no idea where they are.

Have to try and figure out how to get the centre console out as that's probably where most of them are...

Thanks

Andy.

98 Explorer Sport #10 7.5 amp fuse

When it goes it takes out the stop lights, turn signals, overhead console, AC, cruise control and sometimes but not always radio to mention most of the stuff effected. I replaced the brake light switch and all was well for a couple of weeks but am now back to square one. Looks like the blend door could be a problem OR the flasher.

#10 fuse 98 Explorer Sport

As in an earlier post the #10 fuse services a lot of stuff most importantly stop lights and turn signals. I started with replacing the stop light switch (no difference). Have no unplugged the blend door connector behind the glove box. When it blows the A/C also quits. A 7.5 amp fuse seems a tad light for all those circuits and while I realize fuses are designed for specific loads I've gone to 25 or even 30 amps hoping to have the defective component fail but they just blow same as a 7.5 amp. If the blend door circuit isn't it may replace the flasher although that seems a stretch. This model Explorer qualifies for clunker status so it may not be around much longer. It's unfortunate the the OBD11 won't do electrical problems as they are a B***h to trouble shoot!

Back