Fuse wiring woes!!!

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I'm wiring a second HU to my X as I was talking about in another thread. To get power to the HU I decided to run leads off of the fuse box using the fuse taps that slip on the post of the fuse and then you put the fuse back in the box. Well I wired it all up and nothing happened. I switched the wires around some and still nothing.

Here's what I did. I wired the large yellow wire on the HU which is labeled (Memory back-up lead, Connect directly to battery) to Fuse 22 which is the (Auxilary Power Socket). The power socket always has power even with ignition off, so it sounded to me that the yellow wire needed to be wired to constant power?

Next I wired the Red wire on the HU which is labeled (Power Lead, Accessory) to Fuse 28 which is (GEM, Radio, Memory Seat). That sounded like something to me the would be switched power that comes on when you turn on the accessory switch.

I off course have it grounded good. Does it sound like I have it wired right? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks

run the power directly from the battery through the firewall grommet, find a good ground, and then use one of the fuses as the turn on lead only

What's the best way to connect it to the battery? Is there some place on the battery wire where you can attach wires to it or something? Or do I have to connect it at the actual terminal? Because I don't want a bunch of wires the come off everytime I disconnect the battery terminal.

Back