G2 Rear Diff Cover Installed

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Now that temperatures have finally warmed up here in Eastern Canada, and I had a long weekend at my disposal, finally decided to install the G2 rear differential cover I had purchased a few months ago. Removal of the spare tire allows for more working room beneath the truck. Use of a jack and stands was not required.

Removal of the stock diff cover was fairly simple, and was done completely with hand tools, a 1/2inch socket driver to be exact. Once the 10 bolts were loosened, I left the top bolt in, loosely, to hold the stock cover on while I tapped near the base with a hammer and screwdriver to get it unstuck from the diff housing. The old fluid was drained into a pan. (Note: be careful not to scratch the mounting surface of the diff housing, a few light taps is all it takes.) I placed a lint free rag over the internals as I used a razor blade to scrape off any remaining gasket material from the housing's mounting surface. Pictured below is the rear diff with the stock cover removed.

Diff.jpg

The only slight problem I ran into was that the new, larger G2 diff cover would not fit between the rear sway bar and onto the diff housing. I solved this problem by disconnecting the rear sway bar at both of the link ends, and rotating it up and out of the way to allow mounting of the new cover. The G2 is a nice unit, with a built in o-ring gasket, so no gasket maker is required in it's installation. The new 1/4inch allen key bolts were installed and tightened in a star pattern. I then added one small bottle of friction modifier, and approximately 4 32fl.oz. bottles of Lucas 75w140 synthetic gear oil, using a syringe style suction pump. Fluid was added until it just began to trickle out of the fill hole, located on the front of the diff housing (ie:facing the front of the truck). Even though I filled up from the dipstick hole on top of the new cover, the magnetic fill plug on the front of the diff housing was left removed to ensure proper fluid level, and to clean the magnet of any metal shavings. Reinstall the stock fill plug once the fluid level is correct.
DiffCover.jpg

Pictured below is the finished product.
G2Cover.jpg

Overall installation time was approximately 45 minutes at a relaxed pace. I'd recommend this cover for anyone who wants a more aggressive look, increased fluid capacity, and greater ease of rear diff fluid changes down the road. The drain plug on the bottom of the cover allows fluid changes without having to remove the cover.

I'm questioning that fill level set screw. It appears in your photo to be below the centerline of the axle. The factory fill hole is what's normally used to set the full level, and I believe is above the axle centerline.
I'm no axle expert, but I would think the higher level serves a purpose, no?

RangerX, I have to thank you for preventing what may have been an oversight on my part. I took your advice and went back in the garage to double check the fill level via the plug on the front driver side of the rear diff housing. I added one more bottle of fluid until the level was correct. The total amount of fluid used was just shy of 4 32fl.oz bottles.

Probably a good idea to change the measurements in the first post about the fluids incase others don't read further than that post for the correct amount of fluid

Back