• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential Cover

Mounty 09

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Well my front diff is leaking at the cover case seal. So I am going to drop the diff next week and reseal it up.

My question is does anybody make a diff cover with a drain plug for when I have to change fluid again? Looked a little but am worried about clearance. Has anybody put one on and which one did you go with?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt that the cover seal is leaking because it is silicone. The pinion seal or vent tube concerns are the cause of most leaks. Never seen the cover leak in 16 years as ford tech unless someone already was in there.

I haven't see a lower mounted diff plug on a ford before. You might be able to make one on the new one if you are good enough using a drill and a tap.

I doubt that the cover seal is leaking because it is silicone. The pinion seal or vent tube concerns are the cause of most leaks. Never seen the cover leak in 16 years as ford tech unless someone already was in there.

If you want me to take a picture I will. It is leaking at the cover seal.

1AJeremyD I was looking at some aftermarket ones but was worried about clearance. I think I'm just going to stick with what I have. Hopefully next time I have to change the fluid it will be time for a SAS.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-730501/

My car has a Dana 35 in the front. If you "google" Dana 35 covers, you should find tons of them. Start with Summit Racing. A lot of those differential covers are about the same size as the OEM.

sum-730501_w.jpg

Back