• Register Today It's free!

Gas gauge not working

N3LRX

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
The gas gauge in my 93 Explorer is not working it stays pegged way beyond full all the time. The only time it moves is when you first turn on the key it goes down for a bit then pegs out again past full. I haven't run out of gas in it yet but I haven't taken it on any long trips yet either.

Does anyone know how the gas gauge works is there a computer involved or is it just a simple float and gauge design?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it has the old fashioned electronic floating lever sending unit. the guages do a test to see if they are working everytime you turn the key on. but you probably have a bad sending unit. best to buy a ford part not a aftermarket part. aftermarket has more problem and dont rebuild it it not worth the time in the long run. i would also check for broken wires near the tank and on top of the sending unit

The gas gauge in my 93 Explorer is not working it stays pegged way beyond full all the time. The only time it moves is when you first turn on the key it goes down for a bit then pegs out again past full. I haven't run out of gas in it yet but I haven't taken it on any long trips yet either.

Does anyone know how the gas gauge works is there a computer involved or is it just a simple float and gauge desi

Pegged full is unusual, they usually fail the other way. In essence, yes, it is an old school design, variable resistor on a float in the tank and an analog gauge. The only complication, and I think this might be significant in your particular case, there is an anti-slosh module in the gauge module, keeps the gauge settled down.

Anyway... honestly, I love fuel gauge issues because they are relatively simple to diagnose. But, I simply cannot bring myself to type through the diagrams and procedures for what must be the 10th time. Please... scroll to the top of this page, Click Search in the upper-right corner, type 'fuel gauge' and choose 'This forum' from the drop-down if you appears (optional), then browse the first 30 or so results. I absolutely guarantee what you need will be there.

Yeppers! With key off my 1994 gauge shows 1/8 tank of fuel. With Key on gauge bottoms below empty "red-hash". No doubt it is being instructed to do so.

Back