• Register Today It's free!

Gas gauge reads empty.

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
bought the truck from a friend , runs great but gas gauge always read empty. dont know what fuse to check any one know which one to check and if i have to drop the tank what will i need to replace?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the 95 in your profile, I can't look up the wiring diagram for it, but I can tell you that one possibility is the sending unit in the fuel tank. The sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly and that's what you would be replacing.

If it's the 95 in your profile, I can't look up the wiring diagram for it, but I can tell you that one possibility is the sending unit in the fuel tank. The sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly and that's what you would be replacing.

no this one is a 94 sorry for not saying that.

If all the other gauges and lamps in the instrument cluster work, then it's a problem with the fuel gauge, the wiring from the sender, or the sending unit. When fuel is low, resistance is low (22.5 ohms) ; when fuel is high, resistance is high (145 ohms).

If you can reach the electrical harness on the fuel tank, unplug it. If the wiring and gauge are OK, the fuel gauge should shoot over past the full mark since it will have infinite resistance. You may have to lower the tank some, but chances are it's the sending unit and the tank will have to come down anyway.

Brass float in the sending unit fills with gas and always reads empty. Only a problem on 91-94 explorers.

i think it just might be the float cause the truck sat in the lady yard where he bought it from for like 3 three years. All he did was put a battery in it and it started right up. he says the gauge was working then it just stopped. Do they sale just the float at the parts store or will i have to hit the salvage yard for it?

Brass float in the sending unit fills with gas and always reads empty. Only a problem on 91-94 explorers.

And probably my 93 F150 which seems to share a lot of common heritage with ex's of that vintage.

Back